Which strobes do you use with your nikon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tingkka

Registered
Reaction score
I have a few questions for those who dive nikon. can you list the gears you use and WHY you use it? what kind of shots do you mainly do? are they macro or wide or marine life,...?

i thought of getting the sea&sea D70 housing with 125 duel strobes with macro port and wide angle port. what do you guys think?

Well, I have exactly the setup that you mentioned, D70 with Sea and Sea housing, dual Ikelite DS125 strobes. See all the lenses that I used in my sig.
Basically I do mostly macro shots with my 70-180mm during the day and 60mm for night dive. I don't have a lot of experience with the wide angle side yet but with the 12-24mm lens in Sea and Sea Compact Domeport, you will need a +4 diopter otherwise the camera won't focus much closer than a meter.
I recently got the 10.5mm lens as well and it is WIDE. Will focus almost right on top of the domeport itself. If you get 10.5mm lens, you should definitely invest in Nikon Capture 4 software as it will easily correct the barrel distortion of the lens if you don't like all the bendy effect from the lens.
My biggest complain about the set up is that it is very very heavy on land. Underwater it is not all that heavy and I still manage to shoot while holding my camera with just one hand (but not for long).
The housing looks a bit bulky especially with the handle/tray in comparison to Nexus.

I'm very happy with dual DS-125's and manual controllers....my wife shoots mainly macro, so we got her dual DS-50's and manual controllers....smaller, lighter, cheaper and nearly as bright....just not great for extreme WA

Karl

I'm using dual DS125's too, hooked up through a TTL sync lead (to my S2)

I being a dinosaur still use the Nikonos SB 105 and SB104 with my new and DRY Fuji S2. I dont use TTL therefore any Nikonos compatable strobe will work for me.

It's rare if I am not using an Ike SubStrobe 300 or 400, paired with either the same or a smaller fill strobe.

Yes, they're not TTL with digital, but I get better results when shooting manual.

As old and heavy as they may be, their even, ultrawide coverage easily illuminates a 14mm with film! Let alone on a D100.

I may have to get new strobes, though, when moving to a D70...the strobe pulse is too long to take true advantage of the high sync speeds.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom