Crystal River Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDusty

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking to go to Crystal River Florida in mid Feb. Anyone have any advise or input? What kind of water temps, exposure suits, vis. etc. and how was your experience overall? My wife and I are experienced quarry divers as well as the Keys and Carribean. :06: And where's the best place to eat?
Dave Bridenbaugh

If this thread isnt moved there really soon, i would advise you ask in the Florida Conch Divers section. To answer your questions:
Temps: 72F year round
Exposure Protection: 3 or 5mm, depending on your ability to deal with 72F water
Viz: depends, can be 50ft, can be 10ft (depends on the snorkelers around the manatees)
Where to go: try Bird's Underwater, American Pro Diving, Manatee Central, our own CaptSuzieHolstead (board member) or just look/search for threads on the subject in the FCD section - plenty of people have gone to snorkel with the manatees and maybe do the cavern dive afterwards.
Eating: on our next trip, next weekend, i think we will meet and probably eat at a place next to the Best Western, something like ...... on the water is the place, otherwise there are only a few little places.

I haven't been to Crystal River since 1991, but HOLY CRAP IT'S AWESOME. We had a group go from college and rented our own pontoon boat. The diving wasn't too spectacular, but snorkeling with the manatees was great. It takes some patience, but some will come right up to you. I don't know what's changed since 91, but there were restricted areas you can't follow the manatees into...and if you do, the boat/helo patrols will find you out...quickly.

Have fun!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom