Blue Angel Dive site? Possibly...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The #5 Blue Angel(Navy F-18 Hornet Fighter Plane) went down in the Gulf of Mex today at 3PM. Apparently, it hit a bird(s?) while on its landing approach. The pilot was able to pull the jet up enough for it to crash land into the Gulf instead of making a land impact. The pilot ejected safely and was picked up by the Coast Guard and has already been released from the hospital. This is somewhere on the coast of Perdido Key, FL/Orange Beach,AL line. Apparently there were witnesses from land that saw the crash, so it can't be that far off the beach... I guess...

What are the chances that the Navy will let the crash sit in the water to make another artificial reef? What are the chances that there is enough left of the aircraft to make a sizeable enough reef that won't be swept away with the next bout of surf? :06: The wreckage is supposed to be about 6 miles out, that would put it in 50-70' of water probably.

A little information here http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/st/1201_planedown.shtml

The rest of the information I posted was broadcasted over a Rock Station this evening(not exactly a rock solid source, but who knows!).

The F/A-18 is a largely composite airframe. There's no chance the Navy will be allowed to leave the wreckage in shallow water. "Environmental concerns" don'tchaknow...
Rick

SuPrBuGmAn:
The #5 Blue Angel(Navy F-18 Hornet Fighter Plane) went down in the Gulf of Mex today at 3PM. Apparently, it hit a bird(s?) while on its landing approach. The pilot was able to pull the jet up enough for it to crash land into the Gulf instead of making a land impact. The pilot ejected safely and was picked up by the Coast Guard and has already been released from the hospital. This is somewhere on the coast of Perdido Key, FL/Orange Beach,AL line. Apparently there were witnesses from land that saw the crash, so it can't be that far off the beach... I guess...

What are the chances that the Navy will let the crash sit in the water to make another artificial reef? What are the chances that there is enough left of the aircraft to make a sizeable enough reef that won't be swept away with the next bout of surf? :06: The wreckage is supposed to be about 6 miles out, that would put it in 50-70' of water probably.

A little information here http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/news/st/1201_planedown.shtml

The rest of the information I posted was broadcasted over a Rock Station this evening(not exactly a rock solid source, but who knows!).

You know, since there still isn't any word on how the pilot is doing (he was picked up and taken to Naval Hospital Pensacola- and they aren't saying anything).... this is a pretty insensitive post.

What Rick said. Stuff like that is WAY off limits, as the Navy will want to remove all the classified and proprietary equipment. They'll probably have a salvage operation underway pretty quick, regardless.

Ah well, I still think it would have been a cool dive. If its gonna be a hazard, I'll just have to stick to whats out there already :) Theres an A-7 Corsair a few miles south of Pensacola - I guess I'll have to find my way out there one of these days.

chickdiver:
You know, since there still isn't any word on how the pilot is doing (he was picked up and taken to Naval Hospital Pensacola- and they aren't saying anything).... this is a pretty insensitive post.

I heard on the radio(TK101) he was already released and fine. Its stated in the original post as well.

I don't find it insensitive, maybe you shouldn't be so touchy...

Perhaps you don't have friends who are -18 pilots.

Perhaps you don't take the time to think how your posts come across to other people.

chickdiver:
Perhaps you don't have friends who are -18 pilots.

Perhaps you don't take the time to think how your posts come across to other people.

Perhaps when I hear the pilot was released from the hospital, I move on. :11:

Grow up?

I've dove a couple of WWII airplanes and had lots of fun. Is it so immature of me to think possibly of another(newer) plane to dive? Don't read any further into the message if it bothers you - it wasn't meant for anything more than a conversation starter on what I think would have been a cool dive.

Since I, apparently, don't know who I am - maybe you can enlighten me.

Again, from what I heard(previous to posting anything), the pilot is fine. You're posting on an idea that never came into play.

I'll have to agree with the bugman on this one. There's nothing inoffensive in his first post, unless you count his zeal in diving a brand new spanking wreck. It is disgustingly enthusiastic...

Now if the flight crew went down with the aircraft, THAT would be insensitive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom