North Carolina wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kru

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to NC this coming summer and am diving with Discovery for three days on one of their six packs. We have four divers on the boat, so we can choose the locations, weather permitting, that we want to dive on. I'm not familiar with the wrecks, so I need recommendations on which are must-see. Any opinions?

U-352
Schurz
Papoose
Indra - I suggest this one because it's an intact artificial reef and fairly shallow.

Gary Gentile has written two excellent books about NC wreck diving. I would read these before diving the wrecks.

Sea Tales and Pelican Divers are both great charters with excellent captain and crew. Highly recommended!!

Dive safe. Might be rough seas and current.

A friend and I are discussing visiting some of the wrecks this summer - it's nice to see a list of recommended wrecks, and a couple of charters too.

You just made our life a heck of a lot easier. :D

I would like to suggest the Naeco as an excellent site. I was not impressed with the Indra, however. The Atlas and Portland are also great sites. Artifacts from the Schurz makes it a really good dive. The U-352 is OK, but it is not very interesting.

A web site:mikey.net/aue has descriptions of wrecks off of NC

Also Lynnhaven Dive Center

Hope this helps, Robert:doctor:

Originally posted by DocRCH
I would like to suggest the Naeco as an excellent site. I was not impressed with the Indra, however. The Atlas and Portland are also great sites. Artifacts from the Schurz makes it a really good dive. The U-352 is OK, but it is not very interesting.

Hope this helps, Robert:doctor:

Naeco, both halves are very deep for most divers, 140 or 150 to the sand. Be careful.

DocRCH - The Indra is getting better...more life on the wreck than say a 1.5 years ago. We visit this one a lot sometimes because it's a nice shallow dive for the ride back.

Welcome! I live in NC so I am a bit biased when I say we host among the best dive sites around! Discovery runs a good boat and run to a number of great sites. My favorites include the Carib Sea, Papose and Atlas.

My only adivce, beside having a great dive, would be to take some sort of motion-sickness precautions. NC seas can be rough!

Another post mentions Gentiles books - couldn't agree more. Great reference material.

Here's a good website:
http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/

I hope you enjoy your visit

I will also make at least one trek down to the NC wrecks this summer. What is the water temp usually like there? What type of exposure suit do you recommend for May-August?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom