What is that little "black box" data logger called

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I forgot the name of this thing so I can't do a search.

I't a little "black box" about the size of an electronic remote car key. It's only purpose is to log dive profiles and allow then to be downloaded into a PC. It's _not_ a computer just a logger.

As I remember the whole thing, with computer interface, software and all sells for only a little more then the cost of a Suunto data cable.

So what's it called or who makes it.

It's pretty rockin.

I'm curious. The makers claim that it is a new concept in dive safety. If it just logs your dive to be uploaded to your PC later, how does that make your dive safer?

I think that line is a stretch.. but maybe they were thinking that being able to see your profiles directly will help you better understand what you might be doing wrong. Or that having accurate records of your dives help you better plan future dives. Or the fact that it calculates your SAC will help you plan better gas management.

It's sort of a dumb line, but hardly a reason not to buy the thing. It's great.

I think they mean it acts as a sort of flight data recorder (without the flight of course). So if you have a DCS incident or other dive accident and you're unconscious, for example, and can't share your dive data with medical personnel, the unit could be easily downloaded and the data referenced.

I agree it's a bit of a stretch but that's where I think they're at.

ChrisA, I’m curious about the fact that you emphasized that it’s _not_ a computer.

Actually, it depends on your definition of what a computer is (in my best Bill Clinton voice). One definition says that you have to have a user interface, so by that definition it isn’t a computer while you’re diving. Once it’s connected to the PC it becomes more of a distributed computing system (a small network). By other definitions, and in my mind, this is definitely a computer.

Maybe I sound nitpicky, but aside from the user interface, this device has the exact same internals as a dive computer (sensors, memory, microcontroller), just less functionality.

The reason that I point this out is that if you don’t trust a computer while you’re diving, why would you trust the data that you get from a computer after the dive? If it’s inaccurate, it will screw up your future dive/gas planning.

jonnythan, you mentioned seeing your profiles and that it calculates SAC rate. I know computers with a PC interface show your profile. Don’t AI ones calculate SAC as well? This device does not log gas pressure, so my guess is that you enter your air consumption in the software and it calculates your SAC? Not clear on their site.

For me, it would be useful as an add-on, since my dive computer doesn't have a PC interface. This would be a cheaper option than buying a more expensive computer that has the PC interface built in. But it also looks like ‘computer for the anti-computer crowd’ marketing to me.

Night Diver:
I think they mean it acts as a sort of flight data recorder (without the flight of course). So if you have a DCS incident or other dive accident and you're unconscious, for example, and can't share your dive data with medical personnel, the unit could be easily downloaded and the data referenced.

I agree it's a bit of a stretch but that's where I think they're at.

Yeah, a bit of a stretch. I'd say. Post mortem analysis isn't added safety in my mind!

I did find it on their site. You manually enter your beginning and ending pressures using the software on your PC, and it calculates your SAC rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom