Roatan and Rain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Getting ready to go to Roatan...just checked the weather and noticed it seems to rain everyday in December...How does that effect the dives down there? Are there lots of rivers with runoff?

Maybe Roatan Man can help?

Thanks...

Dive California:
Getting ready to go to Roatan...just checked the weather and noticed it seems to rain everyday in December...How does that effect the dives down there? Are there lots of rivers with runoff?

Maybe Roatan Man can help?

Thanks...

Sure, I can add my 2 cents- as can many others.

The problem with rain and run off in Roatan isn't so much from rivers and their outflow- it is much more pervasive than that- as it is on most islands.

When man alters the physical terrain of the low lying costal areas, diving will be impacted. Much more so than any accumulated impact of years of diving . When someone dredges sand to put a beach where there was none, he has now destroyed his shore diving.

Here are well known examples: Nassau, Grand Bahama, Cayman and the "house reefs" or Bonaire. (They all still have fair to excellent and world class dive opportunities... you just can't find it in front of your resort!)

On Roatan, it largely depends upon where you are diving. Most of the better and motivated DM's will take you to the better sites. They will play the tides and what mild currents there are.

Another factor? What one goes to Roatan for is the little critters. I have had many a fruitful dive (many at night) in what most would call dreadful viz. I am a good navigator, and that is aided by the easy familiarity of the "Front Yard" of my favorite AI Resort, CCV. If you can't get lost (because of immovable landmarks, wrecks, chains, buoys... why worry about viz?) Just go and find the little critters- you would have to get within 15' to see them, anyway. Don't disount this- it's a serious point of low viz diving... the comfort/familiarity paired with macro critter hunting.

The rains of Roatan and the Bay Islands are influenced by "Northers". These storms come from... (duh) the North- they are spin offs from the hurricane track storms that predicatably travel on a NW path, coursing 90 to 250 miles North of the Bay Islands. When it is sub zero in the Midwest (Illinois and other states), or when it gets FREEZY in South Padre, you can bet it's going to get ugly in the Islas de la Bahia.

All of the dive ops on the North side shut down. The larger ones move boats and people to the South side where diving can be good to rough- but at least it's a doable situation. If you are doing West end dive ops or smaller AI's... jump ship to Subway Watersports at French Harbour Yacht Club ASAP! Or... just go on the jungle canopy tour or drink furiously of Salva Vida Beers... or both!

On the South side, the viz can still be pretty excellent (comparatively) as long as you stay clear of Parrot Tree and FIBR. Yes, the viz can be absolutely yucky on the South side in other places, but there aren't too many dive sites near French Harbour, Bario Fuerte and other developed sites.

An advanced operation not only will take you further to the East (on the Southern exposure of the island of Roatan), but also has boats that are specifically designed for less than ideal conditions. Pick your dive op with care and information.

Other of the Bay Islands? Note that all of the existing resorts are located on the Southern coasts, always bathed in the regular ESE breezes, but shielded from the dive-ending Northers.

How's the viz you ask? I go back to my original statement about familiarity with the site (or ease of navigation, maybe with an attentive DM), picking a dive site with no current concerns (a rare issue on Roatan), and concentrating on the small stuff which the Bay Islands are best known for by advanced "critter gitters".

We have been to Roatan every year at least once (and more) in the Nov-Jan time frame. It is not the ideal moment for sun worshippers, but each month brings a different delight of discovery in the cycle of life on the reef.

Who would risk the August hurricane season? Maybe if you want to see the coral spawn! Aint nothin' perfect, each month has it's plus and minus. Give it a shot.

Rain? You were wet anyway! :eyebrow:

RoatanMan:
Rain? You were wet anyway! :eyebrow:

Thank you RoatanMan...well worth the 2 cents...

I'm from Southern California...and I dive during our winter...so rain doesn't bother me...I was just curious about the conditions...I'll dive no matter what the viz is or what is happening on the surface..."no problem MAN!"

I suspect that the rain Roatan is currently receiving are mild drizzles that last only a few moments?

I am staying at an AI, AKR, in the south...and I'm sure they're DMs are wonderful and will get me to the best sites...I just wanted to do some beach diving at night and was curious as to if it would be worth it...or should I just snuggle up to the bar...

Again, thank you very much...

Good attitude will overcome any drizzle. But remember that a toad strangler or a fleeting drizzle- either one can have an effect.

AKR is alas on the North Side. They are pretty good about moving their boats to the South side when the weather closes in. Essentialy, they have no real resoret based shore dive, certainly not when the weather is poopy.

The AKR DM's are top flight. They will do whatever it takes to make your vacation memorable.

Still, though, we do bring umbrellas- and then leave them with the maid staff!

Be sure to tell us all here how it goes... I'm leaving for Roatan 12/11... wooowooo this time next week.... 134 hours!

The forecast says rain almost every day but so far that hasn't been the case. We played tennis every day this week except this morning because of light showers. The rest of the day was lovely. People here have been telling us the rainy season will start soon, so last month when we were visiting the states we bought raingear and we've only worn it once so far.
I'm sure you'll have a great time.

RoatanMan:
I'm leaving for Roatan 12/11... wooowooo this time next week.... 134 hours!

I too will be there (Roatan) that week...where are you staying? With two of us there...I feel the "Diving Gods" will now be with us....

Maybe we'll see you at Mary's Place...

I have been there numerous times during the rainy season. It usually does not affect diving very much. The BIG issue is whether you can get there and back or not. The palnes can not land or take off in inclimate weather due to the restrictions of the airport. I went there one time and it took three days to get there and two days to return. While I was there, we did not miss a day of testing due to the rain. It did rain fairly heavy all day every day. The diving was good, however.

RoatanMan:
AKR is alas on the North Side. They are pretty good about moving their boats to the South side when the weather closes in. Essentialy, they have no real resoret based shore dive, certainly not when the weather is poopy.

The AKR DM's are top flight. They will do whatever it takes to make your vacation memorable.!

I dove with AKR 11/30 and was pleased with the experience. The DM's were great and the sites were really nice. Luckily got to dive the north side and had the sun with us that day. Got in a few nice long dives. I would estimate about 80' viz. Dove Overheat and The Green Outhouse Wall. Saw some cool micro critters poking around the reef. Definately a memorable dive and I would dive with AKR again in a heartbeat. :) I hope you have nice weather on your trip Dive California. Please report back to us on how your experience was.

Matt

[FONT=Verdana]Merry Christmas[/FONT]

We will be at AKR from Dec. 18-25. Any ideas for off resort fun are welcomed. I would like to get some local flavor and get a feel for life in Honduras.

We will be diving in Maui in April 9-16, 2005

Holmespoint:
undefinedMerry ChristmasCan't wait!!Go Oklahoma State!!

We will be at AKR from Dec. 18-25. Any ideas for off resort fun are welcomed. I would like to get some local flavor and get a feel for life in Honduras.

We will be diving in Maui in April 9-16, 2005

We'll be there from 21-29 December - staying in West End Village.

Sandi & Erin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom