Trip Report - Thanksgiving Day 11-25-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thanksgiving Day Dive Trip Report 11-25-04

The boat ride out on Diversity was very nice until we got to the inlet. Then the wave action picked up and the seas got a little rough. I say we saw about 6 ft seas while going out to the dive site. The seas were less at the site, but still a little rough.

The United Caribbean:

The first dive of the day was on the United Caribbean, a cargo ship that was sunk several years ago. I have only dived this wreck while it was intact. The hurricanes of 2004 broke the wreck in half just in front of the wheelhouse and tore the starboard side of the hold and ship apart. The wheelhouse is at the stern of this ship. Donna pointed out a Scorpion Fish as we got to the port side of the hold. We toured the ship from the stern to the bow, where I saw a large Fire worm and then we went to the stern before we went up the line.

28 minutes total time, 65 fsw max depth, and water temp 77º F

The float dive:

We dived a site called separated rocks. In any case the seas were much lighter. I saw a Pacific fish on this dive, a Raccoon Butterflyfish. I also saw the following: Nassau Grouper, Balloon Fish, Harlequin Bass, Spiny Lobster, French Angel, Sergeant Major, Blue Tang, Bar Jack, Sheepshead, many different kinds of Grunts, a school of Cottonwicks, Porkfish, Black Margate, Blue Chromis, Coney, and Neon Goby, just to name a few. Lots of life on the reef.

48 minutes total time, 44 ft max depth, and water temp 77º F

I'll post the pics in the gallery.

Colin,

I listened, but nope, no jokes on Thanksgiving day. We had a blast. It was a great day and two wonderful dives.

DennisW:
It was a great day and two wonderful dives.
Agreed! The United Carribean is a completely changed wreck now. I'e done this dive many times, but this one was like a brand new dive. To think that the storms, rather low magnitude storms, tore up this wreck is amazing. And inside we saw delicate sea fans unscathed. Very weird.

Good group, good weather (ok, it was a little bumpy), good dives -- doesn't get any better. Plan on the 8th Annual next year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom