Married, Cruise, Back - lots to report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowell

Reaction score
I haven't stopped by for a while, but I haven't forgotten about you guys.

Lots has been going on lately.

First off,

Sarah and I got married in Pensacola, FL on November 12 as planned. Due to Ivan and the almost total destruction of Pensacola Beach we didn't have the wedding we wanted to have, so we rescheduled that as a renewal of vows at our first anniversary next year, and just had a small private ceremony at the courthouse this year, followed by everyone who came down anyway going to McGuires for the rest of the afternoon and several Irish Wakes :wink:

We caught the Blue Angels show Saturday, and then Sunday the 14th we headed to New Orleans for our cruise down to Montego Bay, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

It was a lot of fun. We didn't get in the water in Ma`Bay or Jamaica at all, and stayed close to the tour-group, just in case, so nothing much to report from Jamaica.

Grand Cayman we didn't dive because it was such a short stop and we figured with the ferry ride it was just too much of a hassle. We did go snorkeling along the reef and over to Stingray City for a while to feed the rays, and that was truly an incredible experience. The stingrays would swim right up to you, brush against you, and would eat squid right out of your hand. It was nice. Grand Cayman was hit hard with Hurricane Ivan as well, so the place was still a disaster area and a lot of the island wasn't open yet. It will take GC a long time to recover as well, and they don't have the luxury of just trucking in more supplies for repairs like NW Florida / SW Alabama. I was hoping to find a good turtle soup restaurant in Grand Cayman, but there still wasn't a lot open, and we didn't have time to do much sight-seeing.

Cozumel was simply fantastic. We didn't want to book our excursion on the cruise as Carnival seems to have about an 80% markup on their excursions vs. the same thing booked in town, so we just found a dive company and booked locally with "Aquaworld", down near "Casa Del Mar" or something like that. Sarah's dove with CDM before, and we tried them first, but they weren't sure if they could get us back before the boat left, so we went with Aquaworld instead. It was simply incredible.

We dove Palancar and Tormentos reefs at 90' and 60' respectively, and saw all sorts of neat things. The water was just indescribable. I have no words for how clean and clear it was. Simply incredible. We saw lots of stuff and fish along the reef, including a big white grouper that was probably around 38" or so actual size. We swam through some tunnels in the coral, and saw a big sponge about 6 to 8 feet or so in size, that looked to me like a great big clamshell ... and lots of smaller purple and colored fish that I have no idea what they were.

In tormentos it was more of the same, although Sarah said the water was even clearer. I'll have to admit that my eyesight must not be as good as hers, because the water at both looked fantastic to me. At one point in Tormentos we saw a turtle swimming above the reef at around 50' or so, and we tried to follow him for a while, but he was swimming upstream and the current was just too much in that area so we gave up on him and continued down the reef.

Overall, we both had a really good time and it was a great trip. The food was good on the boat, and the cruise in general was very nice - except for the coming back to work part.

Sounds like you guys had a good time, congrats on the wedding :)

Thanks,

I'll post a link to some pictures of the wedding and stuff as soon as I get a chance. We don't have an underwater camera, but we did buy a small (shallow) one for Stingray city and the reef, but it has one of those push-down type buttons and so in Cozumel at 90', I think we got one picture out of it, and the button wouldn't come back up to take any more.

I actually have the wedding pictures here at work, but I'm not sure how to post them. I'll try attaching one directly here and see if it works.

Ok, left to right ...

The first two are the wedding. The next one with Sarah on the boat is from Jamaica in the afternoon with Jamaica in the background. The 4th one is in Grand Cayman from the land looking back at the boat. The last one is a picture of the water in Jamaica looking out from the forest canopy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom