Blue Water Hunting near Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkpod

Registered
Reaction score
Hi- heading down to Bucerias (north of Puerto Vallarta) Feb.22-March 8- first time. Am shipping my speargun ahead of time as Horizon Air will not allow it, even as checked baggage (9/11 to thank for that). Hopefully I have it when I get there!

Anyway- I would like to do as much freediving and spearfishing as possible, and wanted to know if the forum had any tips on spots that are better than others, without having to get on a boat? I also have a car, so I am mobile to go places. Thanks everyone!! Also, viz and water temp at that time of year?Thanks guys!

CBulla:
WOW.. wish I could help with that one! Maybe you can share some info back when you return...

Will do- I was just hoping that SOMEONE out there had been in that neck of the woods, but I guess not???? :bandit_2:

that is not true that horizon air will not let you check it in your baggage. We fly all over the world to hunt land animals with bows and arrows, and have many friends that fly with firearms, walking their firearms right into the airport. There is no rule with the TSA that says you cannot have a speargun. Horizon allows firearms and archery equipment and should allow spearguns too, the only restriction they might give is that the spears themselves have points removed or that the shafts be in a different bag.

Put your gun and shafts into a pvc pipe large enough diameter to hold them and duck tape the ends, that's what we've done in the past when traveling with guns, shafts, and fishing poles down to Panama. Carry xtra duct tape with you so you can seal it back up after they inspect it.

Good luck.....

Hi Justin- thanks for the info- I will try again and note your comments to whoemever I speak next...

Justin699:
that is not true that horizon air will not let you check it in your baggage. We fly all over the world to hunt land animals with bows and arrows, and have many friends that fly with firearms, walking their firearms right into the airport. There is no rule with the TSA that says you cannot have a speargun. Horizon allows firearms and archery equipment and should allow spearguns too, the only restriction they might give is that the spears themselves have points removed or that the shafts be in a different bag.

Hi- once again - good info. Will try with everybody's great comments...and hopefully I get an enlightened person who won't hold me up at the airport (whether here or in Mexico!)

NsearchOFfish:
Put your gun and shafts into a pvc pipe large enough diameter to hold them and duck tape the ends, that's what we've done in the past when traveling with guns, shafts, and fishing poles down to Panama. Carry xtra duct tape with you so you can seal it back up after they inspect it.

Good luck.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom