Suunto Vytec installation question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rried

Reaction score
So I have a new Vytec with air integration, and an Aqualung Titan reg that I really like. As I attempt to install the AI unit I discovered that the reg only has one hp port (4 lp ports). If I install the Vytec AI unit in the hp port I loose my manual pressure guage. Not a good idea. Is there a fitting to extend the one hp port? Any other options? Boy do I feel stupid.

Help!

rried:
So I have a new Vytec with air integration, and an Aqualung Titan reg that I really like. As I attempt to install the AI unit I discovered that the reg only has one hp port (4 lp ports). If I install the Vytec AI unit in the hp port I loose my manual pressure guage. Not a good idea. Is there a fitting to extend the one hp port? Any other options? Boy do I feel stupid.

Help!
Hey, welcome to the Board.

Maybe I am wrong about this but I think most regulators only have one HP port and that one of the purposes of air integration on your wrist computer is so you can get rid of the HP hose. If your computer malfunctions you surface.

I personally used a regular gauge rigged DIR style along with the wireless transmitter but my Apeks ATX200 came equipped with dual HP outlets. You could also try this route if you want to utilize both with a single HP outlet http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/cat_misc_portadapters.html "57215 A 90 degree swivel with two 7/16-20 outlets for multiple consoles, gauge, or computer devices. Part#012 900 $39.99"

Thank you for the help. I like to use a backup for basics like time, depth, tank pressure, so I'll feel better with the 90 degree swivel coupling route.

rried:
Thank you for the help. I like to use a backup for basics like time, depth, tank pressure, so I'll feel better with the 90 degree swivel coupling route.

of course you do add another HP o-ring which might fail going this route.

rried:

Your Vytec has all of this. In the extremly unlikely event it would fail, you would abort your dive I assume??

Leave your gauge in your bag.

At some point you will have problems with a transmitter signal, interference, user error, etc. You will have to decide if you need to upgrade your reg or rely only on your AI computer.

I love having an AI computer. The remaining gas time during the dive and the
delta-P info in the computer dive log are features I have grown to rely on.

Before I added a port doubler I would buy a new reg. A port doubler would have at least 3 HP o-rings plus swivel o-rings.

Many new regs have two HP ports, When I bought my vytec I also upgraded from the Titan. I now use my Titan as a deco/spare reg. Although I rarely use the SPG now it is nice to know it is there if I need it.

murrr77:
Your Vytec has all of this. In the extremly unlikely event it would fail, you would abort your dive I assume??

Leave your gauge in your bag.

I wouldn't agree that a failure is extremely unlikely ... it's surprising to me how often I see them fail.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have the Vytec AI and a standard SPG on my Zeagle. Personally, if I had to choose between the AI and the SPG, I would choose the SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom