Any good wreck dives near Clearwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are coming to the Clearwater area Dec.24-Jan.3rd looking to set up some dives before we arrive. We want to dive with the Manatee's and get a couple other dives in. Would like to wreck dive if possible. Can any local experts make any suggestions?

Like I said in prior posts the quality of diving in the Gulf varries from day to day, but it can be great. Depth has a lot to do with it. If you're not a tech/wreck diver the follow wrecks are good.

Shallow 30 - 69 feet: Cable Barge, Army Tanks, LCM, "The Sixty Foot Wreck"
Mid Depth 70 - 90 Feet: Gunsmoke, USCG Cutter Blackthorn, Sheridan Tug
Deep 91 - 130: Mexican Pride

Hope this helped

I hope you don't mind me hijacking this post but there is a possibility of me moving to Clearwater. I was wondering how frequently dives get snowballed because of the weather (other than hurricanes) and what alternatives there are when the sea is a no go. Are the caves to the north easily accessible as this is something that could tempt me from the cold murky waters of Long island :wink:

Far_X - the East coast is only a few hours off, the Gulf of Mexico is Clearwater's diving spot mostly and there are a handfull of dive spots south of the CW area. North and inland are the springs, cavers, and caves, and a few places such as Crystal River that are easy to hit as well. FL is definitely the place to be if you want diversity of dives.

CBulla, thx. It certainly sounds good. We have beach and wreck diving up here but there were so many boat trips cancelled this summer and if you work M-F that doesn't leave much of an opportunity to dive off-shore. I love the beaches nonetheless but most of the ones near me you have to hope for a long high slack. :) So lots of alternatives sounds good.

Are there any operators that run to those wrecks on a regular basis? Any chance of hitting two of them on one trip? Average cost?

Your most welcome.. our summer was a little hairy to the water is still mucky. :D

OBG - I wish I could provide some info on that, but I don't really dive up that way. I believe the costs are in the 65-85 range, mostly because of fuel costs. Gulf diving is a little longer boat ride than most people are used to since you have to go a bit off shore to get into any sort of depth. When we go out here in Ft Myers, its 13-15 miles to get into 65' of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom