Can you identify these fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Charlie99 brought a pair of fins over that he had found at 70ft. They are IST brand, with a logo of a dolphin on them (see pic for details) - would these be "IST dolphin" fins? can anyone confirm?

Mahalo,
Tim

I've just visited the IST site, which has a possible match:

http://www.istsports.com/product/product-View.asp?item=F-1&graphPos=/product/pic/F_1.JPG

They're called "F-1 Rubber Fins", "long proven traditional design rubber fins", one of two models made by IST out of that material in Taiwan. The other is "F12 Sea Diver", a full-foot rubber fin.

You can see the full range of IST fins at:

http://www.istsports.com/product/product-list.asp?mastockPa=FINS

where the heading reads: "It is really a matter of personal preference when choosing a pair of fins. That is the reason for us to offer both rubber and plastic fins." It's a plus these days for an individual manufacturer to offer a choice of materials.

As for the dolphin, it's part of the company's logo - see top of the fins page - and not the distinguishing mark of a single product.

Hope this helps.

David

Probably a poor copy of Scubapro Jet Fins.

They do have a "made in Taiwan" impint, so Dave has probably got it right as the F-1.

DennisW:
Probably a poor copy of Scubapro Jet Fins.
No wonder I thought they were pretty wimpy fins compared to my USD Blades (originals). The IST XL size is both narrower and shorter than my L size Blades. The IST fins do weigh a lot more and have a bigger foot pocket, so they are probably good for someone in a drysuit with big boots and needing a bit more weight on their feet.

I've only dove real Jetfins once, and my recollection is that they pretty much felt the same as the IST copies ..... a lot less surface area than the wider and longer stiff Blades so not as much thrust from the Jetfin, but the shorter Jetfins were a bit better for backing maneuvers.

Charlie

p.s. Tim -- they were really in only about 45' of water. Just visible in the distance off the outer point of Ulua, lying next to a 16# weightbelt. Now, what was that rule about not using the BC as a lift bag ? ...........

Charlie99:
They do have a "made in Taiwan" impint, so Dave has probably got it right as the F-1. . .

p.s. Tim -- they were really in only about 45' of water. Just visible in the distance off the outer point of Ulua, lying next to a 16# weightbelt. Now, what was that rule about not using the BC as a lift bag ? ...........
Thanks for the correction.

I thought you'd just swim 16# to the surface with those long blades of yours - lol. (gotta give ya' a hard time right?)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I thought you'd just swim 16# to the surface with those long blades of yours - lol. (gotta give ya' a hard time right?)

Aloha, Tim
Actually I was a pretty funny sight lugging back 16# of lead and probably 10 pounds of fin. With enough air into my BC that I was just a few pounds negative, I'd swim along for 50' or 100', then drop back down to the sand as soon as I stopped finning -- I looked kind of like a hawkfish or other fish w/o a swim bladder that drops back down as soon as they stop swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom