Looking for a Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cee

Reaction score
Hi,

i have been diving since 1996..its only now that i have decided to get a dive computer. what's the best dive computer for someone who is not-so techie.( meaning dive comp must be user-friendly)

any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :07:

Hi Cee,

Since this is not an Intro, and you've already post one, I'll ask a Moderator to move this to Basic Scuba Discussion or perhaps Computers, Gauges, Watches & Analyzers forum for better coverage.

Whatever you select, you need to study the manual - not just try to bluff with the cheat sheet - and run simulation dives, until you know exactly how you computer works. I've seen many buy and wear computers, but get worthless information from them - either because they didn't know what was happening, or they set them incorrectly.

Good luck!

What's your budget?
Air intergrated or not? If so, hose or hoseless . . .
Nitrox or not?
Wrist or console?

Lot of parameters, but would be best to start with your budget then you can narrow down the list of possiblities.

I have a DACOR Darwin wrist computer that I really like. It is simple to use, reasonably priced and you can download your dive profile on the computer.

aladin sport is a good choice, it is easy to use and it turns on by its self in the water and turns off after you dive.

if you want a Air intergrated, nitrox compatible , console computer the suunto cobra is hard to beat. Suunto Cobra

I suggest the SUUNTO Vytec. It comes in AI and non-AI. As for user friendly, I don't believe you can do better. It's completely menu driven.

Suunto can't be beat in my book. If budget is low then Aeris has their Atmos 1 for $168. Scubatoys and diversdiscount both have it for that price, others may too. I am thinking of buying one myself as a back up.
Another good thing with the Aeris is that you can trade it in on another Aeris comp later.

Oh yes - make sure you buy a Nitrox computer, even if you only dive air. You'll be glad you did.

I'm very happy with my Oceanic Versa Pro. It's not so popular on SB with some, but as long as you remember that:

Green is good, and

Yellow is Caution - get back to Green.

They are conservative enough for me. Never head of anyone getting a hit in the Green with proper settings and usage. It may happen, but no one has said so here that I know of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom