Any California divers here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abalonediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to see if there are any N. Cal divers out there- I was SCUBA certified in 1970 (YMCA) and again in '97 (PADI) and do a fair amount of freediving in Sonoma County... I occaisionally need a dive buddy as well...

Bob

Welcome to the board!
I have been ab diving only a few times..I loved it though!
I live in Pleasant Hill and am always looking for people to dive with!
Send me a PM and maybe we can hook up for a dive in monterey!
Drew

Abalonediver:
Looking to see if there are any N. Cal divers out there- I was SCUBA certified in 1970 (YMCA) and again in '97 (PADI) and do a fair amount of freediving in Sonoma County... I occaisionally need a dive buddy as well...

Bob

I do alot of free diving too. I am always looking for abalone dive buddies. When the season opens in April, just let me know when you want to go. Untill then there is always scuba diving.

Nor-Cal is what its all about, Love to Ab dive, but sometimes preparing the abs is too much work.

Justin699:
Nor-Cal is what its all about, Love to Ab dive, but sometimes preparing the abs is too much work.

Yeah popping them off the rocks is about 1% of the work :wink:

From ocean to plate, I'd guess it's a caloric loss overall eating abs what with all the damn pounding :wink:

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Yeah popping them off the rocks is about 1% of the work :wink:

From ocean to plate, I'd guess it's a caloric loss overall eating abs what with all the damn pounding :wink:

I dunno, abs are pretty rich in calories!

Try doing the 2"x4" and t-shirt method. A couple of good wacks, pop it in tin foil with butter and garlic, grill, and slice.

Better yet, go get the abs, take them to a friend who loves abalone, but doesn't dive and let them cook them for you.

The trick is to get your non-diving friends hooked on the abs- then you have it made! It seems a small price to pay for an abalone dinner, no? Usually a bunch of us will make a weekend of it camping on the Sonoma Coast, and with only 4 or 5 out of maybe 20 people being divers, there are plenty of pounders available. I'll bring a generator to run the slicer (and of course to mix margauritas!) and what a time is had by all!!! It just doesn't get much better than that!

Bob

abalonediver,
you need a "tailgator"
I sure hope to get out more this year, last year saw only one ab dive. But we pulled 2 double clickers out of our spot (no real secret) on that one day. This year I am going to incorporate more spearfishing into my ab dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom