Cambrian Foundation???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone heard of this not for profit (501c) organization - Cambrian Foundation? They seem to do water testing at various springs around Florida if not other areas of the country/world from what i got from a brief scan through the site. My roommate picked up this business card the other day from them and they seem to have a diving arm of the organisation too. The only downside is that they mention my OW cert store as the place they get fills and he supports them, not saying this LDS owner is evil, just not a nice guy IMO, but doesnt mean he cant support a good cause. Do you see anything in there that puts up red flags or have you heard anything about them?

My eco-friendly side feels it should make it up to Florida for the type of work i do with the mining in this state. Was wondering if i could see some of the "unavailable" springs around here if i volunteered for them. I understand my intro to cave cert is only a follow the mainline kind of deal, not task oriented or exploration, but it looks like they pretty much only cavern/OW dive from what i read. Thoughts?

We had one of their dive instructors running the show for scientists doing tech dives on a NOAA ship I was on. They seem to be heavily into diving exploration.

The explanation for their title is extraordinarily weak... my impression is that they thought "Cambrian" sounded cool and then rationalized it (sort of) later.

Proper use of this term would apply to a paleobiological outfit, or you could stretch it to maybe a geologic one.

Inappropriate names and titles bug me.

archman:
The explanation for their title is extraordinarily weak... my impression is that they thought "Cambrian" sounded cool and then rationalized it (sort of) later.

Proper use of this term would apply to a paleobiological outfit, or you could stretch it to maybe a geologic one.

Inappropriate names and titles bug me.
Me too with my geology background :wink:

Cambrian was founded by Terry Tysall- a well known cave and tech instructor. He's a good guy. Cambrian has several different research projects running at any given time.

Speaking from experience, Simon- research projects like this are expensive to participate in-typically they are not funded, and each diver pays his or her own way. If you can get ANY sort of sponsorship or resuced pricing,it helps. Don't read too much into your LDS connection- he gets free advertising,they likely get a small pricing break.

Thanks for the advice. I wasnt expecting any kind of free ride, but maybe some chance to help out the environment - at least by monitoring, and of course the chance to dive a few out of the way places that arent generally open to diving (ie require permits which these guys seem to get). I understand that i might have to pony up the fill costs etc, i already have a bunch of gear set for this kind of work, might need a little more training/experience in caving before doing anything beyond an intro level kind of dive - it'll come, just give it time and of course i am in no hurry to push myself one way or another, just inquisitive about this organisation.

I was only joking about being wary of the LDS connection, i dont like the guy who runs the place, nor the way the place is run, but i wouldnt associate people who have walked in the shop as being bad people, now divers trained by that shop that i may be wary of :wink:

I have worked and dove with them. They are a great bunch of poeple. I dove with them on the Commodore Project this is a boat that went down in 1897 offshore Daytona. If you look around on there site you may find it. Terrence Tysall is a great guy to dive with. I wish they would do more with that ship it was fun to do. And you learn alot.

PS.Simbrooks I see you have finished your intro to cave Im always up for a dive.

BlueWaterDiving:
PS.Simbrooks I see you have finished your intro to cave Im always up for a dive.
Well so far it looks like something to at least check into in time.

Intro and ready to go, keep an eye out on the FCD forum, most of the time i organise my trips on there. :wink:

simbrooks:
Well so far it looks like something to at least check into in time.

Intro and ready to go, keep an eye out on the FCD forum, most of the time i organise my trips on there. :wink:

What is FCD or is it CDF ?????

BlueWaterDiving:
What is FCD or is it CDF ?????
Although i read CDF (cave diver forum), i was talking of FCD (Florida Conch Divers) subforum of scubaboard. Go to the top of this page, you will see a set of links saying ScubaBoard.com > Scubaboard Clubs > Florida Conch Divers, click on the last one or go back to the main page (index page) and scroll down near the bottom in alphabetical order you will find FCD in the clubs grouping just below Deep Dicie and above Great Lakes.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom