Lake Pleasant dive in Jan????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
It looks like i'm going to be in the Apache Junction area around the first of the year. I'm not sure yet on a date, I have to move my mother in law back to Colorado.
I figured I would make the trip worth while......

Anyway, I did some searching and came up the the lake.
What is the temp and vis going to be about that time of year?
Would anyone want to play guide & blow some bubbles with me?
I'll be flying in, but I will have all my gear (less tanks...). I should be able to bum her car.

PM me if interested, or post here. Maybe we could get some more board members together. Find ol Dandy Don and drag him and his group of crazies along too. Cool guy, I met him in Santa Rosa.

Greg

Temp should be in the mid to high 50s, viz might be 10-20 if we're lucky. Closer to Apache Junction, you also have Canyon Lake and Saguaro Lake, same temp, worse viz (5-10 in Canyon, 0 in Saguaro). Post your dates when you get them figured out and we'll join you if we're free.

Works for me, I'll check out the others on the net.
Thanks
G

Canyon Lake and Saguaro Lake, same temp, worse viz (5-10 in Canyon, 0 in Saguaro).

While viz at Canyon can be pretty low (5-10'), I recall having better viz there than Pleasant last winter. Viz even topping 20-25' on several occasions.... Location on/in the lake may play a part here. In any case, if you'll be in AJ, it's nice and close and may be worth checking out. Pretty drive too.

:wink:

heymonkey:
While viz at Canyon can be pretty low (5-10'), I recall having better viz there than Pleasant last winter. Viz even topping 20-25' on several occasions.... Location on/in the lake may play a part here. In any case, if you'll be in AJ, it's nice and close and may be worth checking out. Pretty drive too.

:wink:

It is a nice drive. Where do you usually dive? We've only been there a couple of times, and both were Boulder Canyon area, where boating isn't allowed. That area seems to be the easiest shore entry other than the boat ramps.

I can't seem to find a good link to the lake.
It is much better than the first one for location, I think it will do!!!!
But then about anything would do at this point. This is about the only chance I will ever have to dive down there. We are still thinking in January sometime. I have to talk her into moving up here before selling the place she has first.
thanks
Greg

Hi Greg, I just came from AZ. and I was diving at Lake Pleasant, vis. was maybe 15ft. in 20ft. of water, was down at 66ft. and vis. was poor mostly because it was dark, temp. was 57deg. at 40ft. When you get out there call Aqua Blue Sports @ 602-957-6108 and talk to Kevin, he works there and he likes to dive, nice guy, he went diving with me out their. also if you get a chance stop in Santa Rosa, NM. and dive at the Blue Hole, it is where 54 goes south, and is just off I-40, get off their and ask anyone where it is, you can't and do not want to miss it. temp. is 61deg. Tell Kevin, Dave Chandler told you to call. good luck and safe diving. Dave

Dr. Frankenmule:
But then about anything would do at this point. This is about the only chance I will ever have to dive down there. We are still thinking in January sometime. I have to talk her into moving up here before selling the place she has first.
thanks
Greg
Here's a couple of links that may be of use. One thing to be aware of, although I'm sure you deal with it being from CO is that some of these are mountain lakes so it's technically altitude diving.

If you want to dive Lake Pleasant - probably a good 60-90 min. from Apache Junction depending where your mom lives - check with Valley Diveboats - http://www.azdiveboats.com

All Wet Scuba used to dive at Saguaro lake - http://www.allwetscuba.com. Although Saguaro is pretty much a mudhole, we've had a drought here the last couple of years and it's not very deep, plus the powerboats kill the viz on the weekends.

Here's some general info about local lakes: http://www.southwestscuba.com/divesites.html#Fresh water diving

From Apache Junction, I'd try Canyon Lake first. I think it's a little deeper and clearer as well as being closer. I did a cert. dive there years ago and could see 15-20' and chased the fish near the bottom till someone(my buddy) silted it up. You'll have to drive a short distance for air, probably either at Saguaro Sports(closest to you) or El Mar Dive Center, both are in Mesa. El Mar's worth the trip if you like to browse at divestores, they've got everything there.

Steve

I'll ask around at our diveclub(AZScuba we sponsor this forum) meeting next month to see if anyone has any ideas, but most of our people dive Mexico or San Diego. I'll PM if I hear of anything.

Dr. Frankenmule:
thanks
Greg
Hi Greg, Take a look at this site if you don't already know about it, go to www.dtmag.com click on the state you want to look at, then click on a dive flag in that state, it may say to check with local dive shop, but click on another one, some of them are up-dated. I have found some nice dive spots that way, Good luck, Dave

Thanks,
I'll check them out. I read the magazine, but didn't know about their page.
G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom