ReefCheck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shugar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi guys,

i recently found out that the DLSU marine biology something something has linked up with ReefCheck international... they're looking for volunteer divers, DMs and even non-divers to help in their efforts

was wondering if anyone knows of this, or is part of this, or knows how to get in touch with these guys... i want to put my tub-a-lard to work for the environment

it's also better than doing my community outreach with indigents w/c is really not my thing... and besides, everybody here does their outreach w/ the poor and downtrodden... but nobody gives a flying fatooty about mother nature

Jag

Now, that's one way of, maybe, solving my dive planning problems.
It's hard as heck to get folks together for a dive here, maybe if there's a group to work with. Wow, maybe with a schedule that I can depend on.

Tom

shugar:
hi guys,

i recently found out that the DLSU marine biology something something has linked up with ReefCheck international... they're looking for volunteer divers, DMs and even non-divers to help in their efforts

Jag

Awaiting development on this thread ..... :hm:

Nomaster:
Now, that's one way of, maybe, solving my dive planning problems.
It's hard as heck to get folks together for a dive here, maybe if there's a group to work with. Wow, maybe with a schedule that I can depend on.

Tom
hey tom, i read your posting on the admin forum regarding volunteer diving...

there is also a regular operation happening here in the philippines (i mentioned it in the thread on artificial reefs) in Calatagan, Batangas that builds artificial reefs

then there's paolov's operation somewhere also in batangas

there is also one that was inviting some time ago to a reef survey to tubbataha BUT that one required you to actually pay and the rate was more expensive than the regular tubbataha liveaboard rate

i can get you in touch with the calatagan operation if you're looking for something to do when you come over

Jag

paolov:
Awaiting development on this thread ..... :hm:
i checked out the reefcheck website (www.reefcheck.org) and you can "enlist your team"... and they've got some online survey forms and files that you can use for the survey...

this might be a nice plus for your artificial reef efforts...

Jag

shugar:
hey tom, i read your posting on the admin forum regarding volunteer diving...

there is also a regular operation happening here in the philippines (i mentioned it in the thread on artificial reefs) in Calatagan, Batangas that builds artificial reefs

then there's paolov's operation somewhere also in batangas

there is also one that was inviting some time ago to a reef survey to tubbataha BUT that one required you to actually pay and the rate was more expensive than the regular tubbataha liveaboard rate

i can get you in touch with the calatagan operation if you're looking for something to do when you come over

Jag

Thanks for the offer, but that period of time is crammed to overflowing.
I do think it would be great to work on a useful project for a decent stretch of time though, and can see it happening in the very near future.
I have read about other volunteer jobs that charge for volunteering (archaeology and other academic field work), not interested, I'll work free, use my own equipment, pay for my air and reasonable room and board, etcetera and so on, but I'm not paying an organizer for the priviledge of sweating while they sit in an air condition office doing whatever they do; I want them working beside me.
Actually I seem to remember some social volunteer work that required large sums of money for the priviledge of working and they didn't even offer academic credit as some of the other opportunities do. Any time I see excessive money involved, my SCAM filter lights up and other alarms go off.

Tom

i could not invite other people in the reef project we are doing as the organizers generally utilize DiveMaster certification to join.

I agree with the limitations as the project really is a bit very strenuous and/or hazardous underwater. hmmm come to think of it , hazardous on the initial work, but now it seems that it would be easy...... oh well , i may join the deployment this weekend and i'll se eif i can get info for you guys by then.

basta, as soon as you see that the DM level is no longer required tell me! i want to help... what i may not have in experience or level i make up for in confidence in the water (read: confident, not cocky)

my 1st fun dive (after OW) was calatagan... i was surprised when my instructors invited me to join -- thought you needed at least AOW+ exp to do it, they said they were confident in my skill and i could handle it well...

they kept an extra eye on me for good measure but i did do good (whew!) and it was sooooo much fun... amazing the different feeling you get when you know you're making a real, albeit tiny, contribution to mother nature

Jag

PS
willing to pay/ contribute for air but i'll need a carpool kasi my car will not survive the journey wahahahahaha

shugar:
basta, as soon as you see that the DM level is no longer required tell me! i want to help... what i may not have in experience or level i make up for in confidence in the water (read: confident, not cocky)
Jag
Shugar,

This is just one more "serious" reason for us to continue diving and our diving education. That is should we decide that we need a reason.

Tom

hi guys! i know one of the fisheries scientists for reefcheck in the philippines. i could pass his email address on to anyone really interested. pm me if you are!
lara

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom