USS Oriskany Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
The Oriskany is due to be moved to Pensacola on Dec 18 for a June sinking. I know I've been waiting for this for awhile, and I live in New orleans. You panhandle divers must be foaming at the mouth. This is going to be a not-to-be-missed dive site!

Once they get this moved to Pensecola I'd like to go and see it before they sink it. I think it would be neat to have a few pictures of it above water and then a bunch more when it is below.

I know we arent supposed to, so maybe i wont hold my breath that it will go down in June - there have been a few delays so far. I would like to dive it when it goes down, if i am in the area maybe pop by to see it before it goes down (cave diving in the panhandle). Fingers crossed though. :wink:

How deep of water are they looking at sinking it in?

I think i heard 220 sand, 130 deck and 60ish for the top of the superstructure, i could be off by 10ft+/-, but its around there. Has to be deeper than 50ft for navigation purposes and its a tall ship by all accounts from keel line to top of the tower.

keep us posted on this one simbrooks, I would love to have a few days diving on it when it does go down. I just hope that they leave some plates in the galley..

cancun mark:
keep us posted on this one simbrooks, I would love to have a few days diving on it when it does go down. I just hope that they leave some plates in the galley..
If they leave pots and pans do you want to do some UW cookery??? :wink:

I just respond to these threads, i have no idea when/if they will eventually get around to it, if it will go down where it is supposed to, the right way up, have nice guidelines inside for easier penetration or what. I would like to hit it for sure though and as before, the caves up in that area are something on my list - as well as elsewhere.

I hope they get this one right...the Spiegel Grove was to sit upright after sinking, but we all know the screw up. If this one ends up on its side....well, I'm not doing tech training anytime soon...

Doesnt it have like an 80ft beam? If they put it with the tower up, or sitting slightly tilted down one side of the hull it might work. Maybe another hurricane would move it around? Of course that is part of the reason why i wonder if it will be in by June :wink:

But look at the boats they didnt get it right on, SG, Bibb and i think there might be another down in the lower keys, its not a given.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom