Crystal River, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

del_mo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
One of the best things about being a newbie at diving is that almost every dive is new and full of adventure. I've had the excitement of seeing my first shark, my first swimming moray, and finding 2+ million year old Megaladon teeth. But nothing prepared me for my dive in Crystal River.

My wife and I planned on a day of diving in the springs and snorkeling with the manatees. We read up on what to expect. In no way did I expect what we found.

First, the springs. Three Sisters was a pretty, but a shallow dive. So shallow my dc said I spend more time above the surface than below. Still, it was pretty. Kings Hole was a mess. Suspended particles (I'm being polite) clouded the viz to about 7 feet. The dive shop later said with the manatees in, they make quite a mess.

But the highlight, and I can't underscore this enough, were snorkeling with the manatees. While some crusty divers, as well as some not-so-crusty divers may say, "oh hum", that's okay because we all get off on different things. But swimming with these animals is an experience I will never forget. I can't choose an adjective that best describes the experiece because there are so many.

We read not to expect much. Let the manatees swim to you if they are interested. They MIGHT let you scratch them. If they don't come by, we were supposed to be satisfied with just seeing them. Okay. Now I can only hope for my wifes sake one stops by.

We were fortunate in that we were the only two people in the water. We swam over to where we saw some motion. About 50 feet from the boat, we had manatee after manatee come visit us....rolling over....asking for a tummy scratch. How could we resist? Many checked us out nose (theirs) to our masks. In short order, my wife and I drifted apart, each having our own mini-herd. While our stories where very similar, I can tell you that eventually one very large bull decided I was his. He rolled and rolled looking for scratching, bumping me if I paid attention to other manatees. At one point he used a flipper around my arm to pull me closer. I had to hug the big palooka, only getting about 1/3 of the way around him. He seemed to enjoy this. When I stopped he used both flippers about my hips to pull me closer. This actually pulled me under water. I had plenty of breath, so I didn't panic. Once I was pulled in I hugged again and he let me surface. I started to prepare myself for another go-round, but decided that while he might be gentle, he was HUGE and I didn't need to get into trouble. Besides, first hugging then what???? I was married and wasn't sure he would understand. I said my goodbyes, and started to swim back to the boat.

The ride home was all smiles. It was such a wonderful experience. And while I'm aware of other animal interactions, as in the Caymans, and I look forward to that experience. But like your first date, this encounter with the manatees I will never forget.

thanks for a great report- I cannot agree with you more. I felt much the same after my experience with them. The only thing that blew it for me was not taking enough cold water gear and subsequently freezing my tush off!!!!!!

We snorkeled with the manatees last month. We had a great time! In fact, we plan on scheduling at least one day to snorkel with them everytime we go back to FL. Sorry to hear about King Spring. We had great viz there when we did the dive. We even got a video of the manatee snorkel and the spring dive.

I couldn't agree moe more with you. I was swimming with the Manatee the day after halloween and this one giant would not leave me alone. I think he thought I was his mate. I was molested all day long. He was great scratching his belly, and he would come right up to my face and nuzzle me. I felt worried I would do something wrong and get a warning from the boat, but I couldn't help but put my hands on his head and play with him. It was an amazing trip and one I cannot wait to do again.

Thanks for the excellent report. That's why I'm going to make sure that we take our relatives there to snorkel when they come in later this month.

BTW, my past experience has been that the earlier you get in the water, the more active the manatees are; otherwise they all they do is sleep. So my next question is "what time of the day did you dive"?

Pax,

I'm going to be in Florida over the new year holiday and was thinking on driving over to Crystal river and do this. Who did you go through or did you just rent a boat?

Jeff

AevnsGrandpa:
I'm going to be in Florida over the new year holiday and was thinking on driving over to Crystal river and do this. Who did you go through or did you just rent a boat?

Jeff

We dove with American Pro Dive. They charge about $40 for a snorkel and a dive, $30 if you just do two snorkels. The DM gets in the water first and checks to see if the manatees are going to hang around, then calls everyone in. The dive is a guided cavern dive in King Spring. We saw some other boats there and the DM just stayed in the boat. APD also video tapes the manatees and the interaction and then you can buy the video tape back at the shop. The tapes are a little pricey, I think it was $20, but, hey, it was worth it. They got both the snorkel and the dive on the tape and it's fun to pull out every now and then and watch. They do a really good job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom