General info requested....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parrottheaddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Greeting to all in my future home state of Florida (lets face it...the weather up here in New Jersey just sucks, and we'd rather live down there anyway!) The wife and I are looking to come down to Fl sometime early in the new year and would like to take care of our cert. dives while we're there. (We already have a trip planned to Fl. around Easter and would like to dive when we get there). Just looking for some general info on good places to do the dives. I'll take the info I get here and check it with the info I got from my LDS and see if someplace looks good. Don't have a preferance if its on the Gulf or Atlantic Coast...we generally fly to Tampa/Orlando area if that helps. Driving distance isn't much of a concern either.

Thanks for the help guys!

Good diving from Jupiter down to the Keys. April will be a little bit cold but not as cold as the Gulf side. Nothing that NJ divers can't handle though....=) Viz usually runs good but it tends to be a little bit choppy. I dive year round and prefer the winter dives myself. Another possibility is the Springs. A steady 72 degrees and there are a few good ones around central north florida. Will you be certified by that time or looking to do your check out dives here or the complete class?

Brian

ZenDiver:
Good diving from Jupiter down to the Keys. April will be a little bit cold but not as cold as the Gulf side. Nothing that NJ divers can't handle though....=) Viz usually runs good but it tends to be a little bit choppy. I dive year round and prefer the winter dives myself. Another possibility is the Springs. A steady 72 degrees and there are a few good ones around central north florida. Will you be certified by that time or looking to do your check out dives here or the complete class?

Brian

Would like to do the checkout dives down there...we're going on a vacation in late April and would like to dive without having to spend some of the time on the checkout dives, and since it is already too cold to do them up here (unless we opted to do them in drysuits which the wife doesn't like) it'll give us a chance to get away for a short vacation w/out the child.

Check out Amy's place for your charter. I spent a week with them this past April, they are in Key Largo, I had a great experience with them and highly recommend you check them out.
http://www.amoray.com/

I also recommend Amy Slates operation. I was there over Thanksgiving and had a great time. Even the non-divers were pleased.

As far as a place to certify, Force-E in Boca Raton. I have dealt with them since 1995 and have never been dissatisfied. I used them for the check-out dives for my 12 year-old daughter and she was happy, although somewhat in awe of her ex-navy diver instructor.

Good Luck!

njdiver95:
Greeting to all in my future home state of Florida (lets face it...the weather up here in New Jersey just sucks, and we'd rather live down there anyway!) The wife and I are looking to come down to Fl sometime early in the new year and would like to take care of our cert. dives while we're there. (We already have a trip planned to Fl. around Easter and would like to dive when we get there). Just looking for some general info on good places to do the dives. I'll take the info I get here and check it with the info I got from my LDS and see if someplace looks good. Don't have a preferance if its on the Gulf or Atlantic Coast...we generally fly to Tampa/Orlando area if that helps. Driving distance isn't much of a concern either.

Thanks for the help guys!
I recommend completing your class and pool work prior to your Florida trip. That way, when you get here, all you have to do is DIVE! You'll demonstrate mastery of skills already learned in the pool, and have plenty of time left for tooling around underwater, gaining experience. IMO, some of the best diving in the world is right here in Key Largo. Enjoy!

KeyLargoBrent:
I recommend completing your class and pool work prior to your Florida trip. That way, when you get here, all you have to do is DIVE! You'll demonstrate mastery of skills already learned in the pool, and have plenty of time left for tooling around underwater, gaining experience. IMO, some of the best diving in the world is right here in Key Largo. Enjoy!

Already finished the class and pool work, and if it were not for the trip we have planned around Easter, we'd just wait till the water warmed up here to do the check out dives, but I was already hooked after just doing the pool dives and can barely wait to get into the water and see whats happening beneath the waves. This sport is DANGEROUSLY addictive...and thankfully there's no know cure! :eyebrow:

Thanks for the info...have read a lot of good things about Key Largo...sounds like fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom