3 tank dive Dec 29th, West Palm Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baitedstorm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If there's enough interest, minimum of 6 divers with a max of 12 (we'd have the whole boat to ourselves with 12 :wink: )

3 tank dive out of West Palm Beach with Diving Solution on December 29th (Wednesday) at 10am. The cost of $80 will include lunch. They have air tanks to rent for those who may need them @ $7.50 each.

So far:

1. Baitedstorm = Vickie
2. Murphdivers286 = Darrel
3. KBeck = Krista (maybe)
4. ZenDiver = Brian (maybe?)
5. Octotat = Ted (maybe)

I would love to join in if it's within my limits. Are they reef dives?

Okay,

You convinced me. As my boss has told me that I have until the 30th to burn 50 hours of sick leave, I think I'm going to develop a 'cold' on the 29th. Love to join you all. Want me to pay Doug (I've dove with him many times before) directly or is someone collecting the bucks on the day of the dive?
Never dove the Princess Anne - any information you could provide regarding the depth of the wreck would be appreciated. Would like to know so that I have the proper NITROX mix.
Thanks and looking forward to finally meeting everyone!
Lee

Hoya: From a nearby dive shop's website:

PRINCESS ANNE
Ranked the #4 wreck dive in the U.S. in 1995, the Princess Anne is a recent addition to Palm Beach's wreck dives, sunk in 1993. This 350 foot car ferry used to carry as many as 800 people and 200 automobiles across the Chesapeake Bay. Sitting upright in 95' of water at the bow and 105' at the stern, the intact hull rises from approximately 100' to 72'. Upon entering the water, we don't have very far to drift before the awesome ship looms into view. It is immediately recognizable, offering divers a rare opportunity to view a fairly intact ship at recreational depths. Storms have pushed the upper deck off to the west side of the main ship's hull, doubling the width of the wreck site and creating a multilevel dive profile.

Fairly intact and penetrable by trained wreck divers, this wreck can be explored over many dives. Intact stairways lead into huge open rooms, some over 100' in length, seemingly unending. Have a seat on the head in the old restroom, or file down dim hallways that open into huge rooms where massed schools of fish flash and turn on your approach. Those not trained in wreck dive penetrations have plenty to see on the outside, as the Princess Anne is near a beautiful reef system, which immediately drew large schools of fish to inhabit the vessel. Corals and huge tunicates are beginning to cover the ship's walls. Make sure to bring your light to peer into the many open doors and windows of this massive ship. Keep a sharp lookout for sharks which are frequently seen, as well as big jacks, barracuda, midnight blue parrotfish and schools of Atlantic spadefish.

baitedstorm, had you heard anything about whether it was affected by the Hurricanes?; I've heard lots of stories about various wrecks in the area being blown around, but can't remember one from the other.

KBeck,
Thanks for the information! I really do appreciate it and am looking forward to meeting you folks.

In answer to your question to Baitedstorm, I heard a rumor that the USS Rankin got hurt pretty badly.

Dove on the Capt Tony last weekend. While this was my first dive on her, 'veterans' of the site said that the wheelhouse was smashed. Can't attest to that. I never found the wheelhouse. So I guess it was smashed pretty good.

Don't know about any other sites though.

Along these same lines, I did hear that the RAMPAGE sank at her moorings. Any truth to that? Were any other dive boats damaged?

Lee

Blondey: I would love to join in if it's within my limits. Are they reef dives?

The deepest I’ve ever seen on The Princess Ann was 95 feet. You don’t have to go that deep, there’s plenty of stuff to see. I’m not even sure that we will be able to do that wreck, it will all depend on the current. We usually hit the nearby reef right after a SI.

Hoya97 : Want me to pay Doug (I've dove with him many times before) directly or is someone collecting the bucks on the day of the dive?

I spoke with Doug last night, he said it would be easier for all of us if we each just pay him when we get there. He just wants me to keep track of the number of divers that will be coming in our group.

KBeck: had you heard anything about whether it was affected by the Hurricanes?

Unfortunately the Princess Ann was hit pretty hard by the hurricanes but She’s still a beaut. Her hull took most of the beating. I’ve also heard that the Governors River Walk is a mess. The Rankin was also pretty badly damaged, I don’t know to what degree, but my friend said when he dropped down on it he thought he was on the wrong site.

Hoya97: I did hear that the RAMPAGE sank at her moorings. Any truth to that? Were any other dive boats damaged?
She certainly did, I don’t know the extent of her damage but from what I’ve been told, Bobby decided not to fix Her back up.

I don't know if Diving Solutions rents Nitrox tanks or not. They do not. They only have air.

Sounds like a fantastic day of diving. I am interested but won't know until I get to Florida on the 18th

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom