Blue Heron Blvd Bridge Diving Yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Yesterday, I went diving with Trevor at Pura Vida Divers. We had almost 100 foot visibility at North Doubles and Shark Canyon lived up to its name. After a second tank at Jolly Jacks and lunch at the Tiki Hut, I drove over to the Blue Heron Blvd bridge.

Some of you may know that the park has been closed since the onslaught of hurricanes earlier this fall. However, the park is now opened for recreational boating so I figured it was time to see how one of my favorite dive sites weathered the hurricanes. The usual beach area on the south side is fenced off and "Closed" so I went over to Phil Foster park, slipped into the water next to the public boat ramp and swam over to the small span east of the main span of the bridge.

It was immediately apparent why the bridge is closed. There are still several sunken boat under and around the bridge, not to mention lots of scattered debris. While a lot of the sponges are gone, there is still a lot of marine life. There were about 10 huge barracuda patrolling along with large schools of sheepshead and jacks. One eagle ray cruised right over my head while two southern stingrays were digging in the sand. While I couldn't find the resident seahorses and didn't see any batfish this trip, there were lots of tropicals, several small lobsters and crabs, and a sharp tailed eel on the prowl. There were still a lot of blennies around but the usually numerous fireworms, banded coral shrimp, and other small creatures were noticeably absent. Hopefully they will return in time.

Check out my website (www.debersole.com) under "galleries" for photos from the boat dives and from under the bridge.

Make sure you wash your ears out as well, i hear the water quality isnt all that hot in some of those areas still. The boats will one day be moved - if not by man, then by the tide slowly but surely wearing them down - impromptu wreck dive though :wink:

One day i will dive the site, but not til its open. Nice shots BTW.

Nice pictures. The Blue Heron Bridge is one of my favorite dives. There are always lots of Juvies to see.

debersole:
Yesterday, I went diving with Trevor at Pura Vida Divers. We had almost 100 foot visibility at North Doubles and Shark Canyon lived up to its name. After a second tank at Jolly Jacks and lunch at the Tiki Hut, I drove over to the Blue Heron Blvd bridge.

Some of you may know that the park has been closed since the onslaught of hurricanes earlier this fall. However, the park is now opened for recreational boating so I figured it was time to see how one of my favorite dive sites weathered the hurricanes. The usual beach area on the south side is fenced off and "Closed" so I went over to Phil Foster park, slipped into the water next to the public boat ramp and swam over to the small span east of the main span of the bridge.

It was immediately apparent why the bridge is closed. There are still several sunken boat under and around the bridge, not to mention lots of scattered debris. While a lot of the sponges are gone, there is still a lot of marine life. There were about 10 huge barracuda patrolling along with large schools of sheepshead and jacks. One eagle ray cruised right over my head while two southern stingrays were digging in the sand. While I couldn't find the resident seahorses and didn't see any batfish this trip, there were lots of tropicals, several small lobsters and crabs, and a sharp tailed eel on the prowl. There were still a lot of blennies around but the usually numerous fireworms, banded coral shrimp, and other small creatures were noticeably absent. Hopefully they will return in time.

Check out my website (www.debersole.com) under "galleries" for photos from the boat dives and from under the bridge.

Debersole, We are wondering how was the water temp's on the bottom, i heard it droped into the low 70's since i dove WP 2 week's ago.

Were also lookign foward to taking the rebreather class next weekend with you, can't wait !!!!

debersole:

PS,. don't forget to bring the camera :)

I may bring mine as well, i have a Oly 5060 in a PT 20 housing, but they sure don;t look like your pic's, beautiful!

debersole:

Doug,
Did you have any problems with the local constabulary while at the bridge? From what I have overheard, they are trying to keep all divers away from diving at Phil Foster Park. Several diver acquaintances have told me about negative run-ins with the sheriffs and park rangers when they tried to use the boat ramp area as a shore entrance in the past few weeks.

FLTEKDIVER:
PS,. don't forget to bring the camera :)

I may bring mine as well, i have a Oly 5060 in a PT 20 housing, but they sure don;t look like your pic's, beautiful!

Water temps on the bottom (80-90 fsw) were 77-78 degrees with excellent viz. Under the bridge the viz was terrible and water temp again around 78.

I'm looking forward to next weekend as well. I'll bring the camera!

Frogman48:
Doug,
Did you have any problems with the local constabulary while at the bridge? From what I have overheard, they are trying to keep all divers away from diving at Phil Foster Park. Several diver acquaintances have told me about negative run-ins with the sheriffs and park rangers when they tried to use the boat ramp area as a shore entrance in the past few weeks.

I had no problems but there were not any police around when I entered or left the park. I had heard the same thing about police trying to keep divers away from the bridge so I was planning on aborting the dive if there were police in the park. I hoped they wouldn't be around as I exited. If so, I was hoping for just a warning.

As I mentioned in my original post, the conditions down there are still pretty bad (I went under the east span) so I'm going to wait awhile before going back down. Hopefully by then the debris and boats will have been removed, the water quality and viz will improve, and the juveniles and seahorses will be back!

That's one of my favorite dives too!!!! I love all the little juvies. Can't wait until they tear down that blasted fence and the water clears up. Beautiful pics debersole!

Cheers,
Vickie

Baited Storm-- Fence? You are kidding right!?! - - We might have to use ear drops and bath in Pine Sol Orange Glo but you got plenty of connections to get around county fences! I gurantee that no D/S is going to run you in for sneaking around a fence. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom