SPG Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CALI68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Iv'e been practicing and getting ready for DIR F in January. I have a question, what if you drop your SPG after you unclip it? I know the obvious answer is tell you team member but is there a trick? That hose is so darn short it's pretty hard to reach around and grab it. I know my instructor will fix the problem but for the sake of practice what's the call?

It hasn't actually happened yet but I fumbled once and came close so I thought I'd ask. It was when I was re- clipping it.

Thanks!

CALI68:
Iv'e been practicing and getting ready for DIR F in January. I have a question, what if you drop your SPG after you unclip it? I know the obvious answer is tell you team member but is there a trick? That hose is so darn short it's pretty hard to reach around and grab it. I know my instructor will fix the problem but for the sake of practice what's the call?

It hasn't actually happened yet but I fumbled once and came close so I thought I'd ask. It was when I was re- clipping it.

Thanks!
The obvious answer is the right one if you can't reach it. If you forget to clip it during your class and don't tell your teammates, your instructor will likely clip it off to your tank valve or some other spot!

You reach back and grab it... you're horizontal in the water, so it'll drop in front of you. Drop it intentionally on your next dive.. and if for some reason you can't find it, signal your buddy and have them grab it.

The same thing you learned in OW class about reg retrieval should work.. sweep the arm back.

jonnythan:
You reach back and grab it... you're horizontal in the water, so it'll drop in front of you. Drop it intentionally on your next dive.. and if for some reason you can't find it, signal your buddy and have them grab it.

The same thing you learned in OW class about reg retrieval should work.. sweep the arm back.

Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking. I'll definately practice that.

Robert, Funny stuff! I'm sure that will happen!

Make sure that you arrange the hose to the spg in front of the wing, meaning underneath the wing when you're laying on your tummy. That way the wing won't hold it up and away from you while you're diving. If you're horizontal then the spg will hang down beneath you if it's not clipped, where you can reach it easily.

WJL:
Make sure that you arrange the hose to the spg in front of the wing, meaning underneath the wing when you're laying on your tummy. That way the wing won't hold it up and away from you while you're diving. If you're horizontal then the spg will hang down beneath you if it's not clipped, where you can reach it easily.

Thanks, I'll be sure to do that.

I'll confess that when I first switched to a DIR-style brass analog SPG, I hadn't built up the muscle memory to find the D-ring on the waist harness easily. It was such a hassle to try to clip it, in fact, that on a few dives I actually left it unclipped for easier access. This prompted quite the withering comments from my buddies. Needless to say, I spent some time clipping and unclipping, and within a few dives taking care of it was second nature. The few times I left it dangle, it wasn't particularly hard to find by sweeping back the left hand.

Frank O:
I'll confess that when I first switched to a DIR-style brass analog SPG, I hadn't built up the muscle memory to find the D-ring on the waist harness easily.

The key word here is "muscle memory".
I practice this frequently:
strap on my plate & harness, zip tie my regs at the top of the plate and close my eyes and run drills, clipping and unclipping spg,reg...
Then lay down in the correct position w/fins, keeping them horizontal clipping and unclipping spg, donating reg, clipping reg off.
Practice sure hasn't made perfect but it really helps in finding those rings on the first try. My instructor suggests always keeping a bolt clip in your pocket, when bored practice with it.

jonnythan:

There are some nasty instructors around that will tuck in a dangly under the first stage or similar so you should either be able to reach back & trace the hose with your hand or go vertical, head down, & shake.

It's even easier to find it on video during class :wink:

Frank O:
The few times I left it dangle, it wasn't particularly hard to find by sweeping back the left hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom