Nice satellite images of the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erik.p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Slightly off topic, but perhaps fun all the same.

http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2002088-0329/Philippines.A2002088.0220.1km.jpg

Some very nice images there (in particular the 500m & 250m images).

Always a blast to try to find the smaller islands such as Malapascua,
or the reefs at Tubbataha etc. I think you can even see "White Island" off the north tip of Camiguin. And that's just a sand bar that apperantly disapperas during high tide!

Manila is blissfully covered under a cloud, but the close by Laguna de Bay doesn't look too inviting...

Thanks for telling us about this great shot. I have been to Tubbataha, but I didn't think it was that big! You can clearly see Apo reef (west of Mindoro) it looks just the same by plane, on your way to Palawaan. And the northern coast of Bohol, it looks like hundreds of Malapascua islands just sitting there.

It seems that the guys at NASA are sixty years too late with this picture, General MacArthur could have used this shot, when looking for the Japanese Imperial fleet, before the Battle of Leyte Gulf.

Now if those guys could only focus their cameras on some of that hidden "wealth" in the Philippines, maybe we will have something!

The sad part about this picture is the lack of "green" on the islands. I understand that this must have been taken during the dry season and the lahar flows on Luzon. But even the areas of no lahar looks pretty bad.

Well, at first I thought "hmmm.....another time waster!".....but after chekcing it out...it's pretty damn cool!!!

Great Site, but with the slower than slow DSL we have here in Manila, it takes forever to review the NASA site for other pictures. I just spent 2 hours looking at some fantastic views of the earth. GREAT SITE

Wow! Are those light green areas around Bohol coral reefs? If so, I really must save up for my next trip back so that I can go visit.

midwestdvr:
Wow! Are those light green areas around Bohol coral reefs? If so, I really must save up for my next trip back so that I can go visit.

Hey MWD... "Show Me"! as in state? Need any help carrying your bags?

Scuby Dooby:
For all the Anilao divers out there - check out mainit point! You can almost see the rocks popping up off shore.

Hey SD

I have been to Anilao, not to Mainit point. Is it on Maricaban? How is the diving? is it lke Sombrero or Layag Layag?

f3nikon

SF bay area? You're lucky, airfare should be pretty cheap to the PI from SF. Here in midwest, nothing under 1000. As for carrying my bags, you'd break your back with all the stuff I have to bring back for the relatives. Forget one of them and I'd never hear the end of it.

f3nikon:
Hey SD

I have been to Anilao, not to Mainit point. Is it on Maricaban? How is the diving? is it lke Sombrero or Layag Layag?

sorry mate, didn't see your reply.

Mainit is on the mainland just opposite maricaban island. if you look at the satellite picture you'll see that the peninsula (think it's called Calumpan, correct me if i'm wrong pinoy bros.) comes to a point jabbing out at maricaban island. That my friend is mainit, home to some of the funnest dives in anilao . . . just watch that downcurrent!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom