December conditions in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jo8243

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm headed to the Keys (Key Largo and Looe Key) next week for some diving. What conditions can I expect for this time of year? Looking for typical visibility, typical top/bottom water temps, and typical sea wave heights.

Thanks!

can be variable- seas can be a little rougher (4-6ft) but can also be dead calm- depends on the day. Sea temps will average 74-76. I was in key largo two weeks ago and had 76 in shallow water. Likewiuse- top temps can be 74 or 80. Vis I had was about 40ft- some were 30ft- not great, but nice enough

One hint- remember to take some warm colthes for the boat ride- Keylargobrent advicsed this to someone prior to my latest trip- I am glad I took his advice- I wore a fleece and jog pants between dives and was toasty.

enjoy

jo8243:
I'm headed to the Keys (Key Largo and Looe Key) next week for some diving. What conditions can I expect for this time of year? Looking for typical visibility, typical top/bottom water temps, and typical sea wave heights.

Thanks!

Wave heights vary depending upon wind conditions, obviously. From October through March we sometimes get cold fronts moving through & the wind associated with these fronts cause wave heights that sometimes prohibit dive boats from going out. Some boats go out regardless, but the likelihood of a positive experience is limited.

Water temperatures can range from the upper 60's to mid 70's. Air temps can range from mid 50's (rarely) to upper 70's, and sometimes lower to mid 80's.

Prepare for marginal sea conditions and take an appropriate seasickness preventative if conditions warrant. Also have "Plan B" in place in case wind & seas make diving not an option. There is really no decent shore diving down here as the reefs & wrecks are several miles offshore.

I suggest you bring a sweat shirt for the boat ride back to the dock, particularly if it is a cloudy & breezy day.

jo8243:

Thanks!
I recorded 76-77 degree water temps on the Spiegel Grove yesterday, but this weekend's cold front could bring it down a notch or two. Bring more neoprene and fleece than you think you'll need. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it! In Key Largo, you'll probably find 30-80' of viz, depending on the site.

For historical data from Molasses Reef, check out http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_history.php?station=mlrf1

Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom