Thursday December 9th weigh in

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turtle Gal

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Looks like I go first this week. I am Down 2 lbs. Now to keep up with this loss. Ive been writting every little peice of food down. And I TRY not to eat after 8:00 PM.EST
It does help. Now for more exercise. Good luck everyone. Turtle Gal

No change which is a small victory. Eating, fair at best, no exercise. My wife and I cleaned the Den tonight (the kids room but thats where my exercise stuff is) so I can get to my workout stuff. I'm trying to get into the right frame of mind to exercise. Once I get motivated enough to start I'm normally fine. Its just getting started. I'm in that phase right now of wanting to lose but not wanting to do what it takes to get 'er done. My motivation is gone. Any ideas? Thanks, Greg

Greg, I feel your pain!! I have an exercise bike in the corner of my living room,99 % of the time I walk by it, Stopping to dust off the seat with my hand.Since Aug of 2002 I have lost 40 lbs.And I want to lose about 35-40 lbs more. I have very little will power right now,However my wanting to get in shape is why I am going to do this.I am not one for giving advise but, try this.
1. Figure time of day or evening that is good for you to exercise.
2. Weigh yourself 1 day a week only,same time each Thursday for example.
3. Try writting down every little morsal that goes into the mouth.
4. Get out what I call, A skinny picture of yourself,Tape it to fridge.
Most important thing to remember is start out small. Like a 1/2 hour 3 times a week and build up to 4 days or even a 45 min workout. That I what I have been TRYING to do. And NEVER give up. And we are here on SB to motivate each other. Good luck Turtle Gal

I'm a little late signing in... 3 pounds down from last Thrusday. Kinda bumming last week, so I was eating all kinds of junk food...

Turtle Gal, march on over to divefitness.com and take a look at the 60 minute bike workout that Cameron has posted. It is certainly a great workout for a regular bike on a trainer and it would probably work on a stationay bike if you can change the resistance. If you haven't done anything in a while though, work up to it.

Greg (Turtle Gal too), keep in mind that motivation comes and goes (although from your post, I'm assuming that you noticed this). Inspiration on the other hand - a picture, a poem, a phrase or slogan, memories of a person or feeling, whatever works for you - can serve you better in the long run. Find something that inspires you and look at it first thing when you wake up, mid-day and before you go to sleep. It'll be a constant reminder to yourself to be the best that you can. If you are trying to just get moving, I highly recommend the book "Body for Life" by Bill Phillips. It's a holistic program that includes cardio, nutrition (notice I didn't say diet) and strength training. You also learn how to plan out your workouts, meals, etc. Follow that for 12 weeks (recommended in the book) and you will have some powerful, good habits that you can carry for the rest of your life. If for no other reason, think about your kids. You are their role model, what greater gift can you give your kids than the gift of good health and the knowledge to help them keep it throughout their lives? Have a great weekend!

-Frank

I'm feeling it a little now. I was in absolutely awesome shape a few years ago and I'm not in extremely bad shape now I'm just not where I want to be. Probably 15 pounds, 20 at most and I'll be where I need to be. And, I'm a registered dietitian so I know what to do its just a matter of making the time to do it. When I first started educating people on diet I didn't see why everyone couldn't spend two hours a day in the gym and eat well. Anyhow, after getting married, my wife and I having a child, buying a house etc. I now understand how hard this all can be. I am overly conscious of getting home after work and helping with dinner, cleaning up etc. My wife doesn't have a problem helping out so I can work out I just tend to feel bad if I don't help, help, help. I actually feel bad if I work out. I've got to get over that. Like I said, she'll work with me, thats no problem. My problem is feeling too obligated to everyone else and not taking the time to take care of numero uno (same thing I tell my pts, Take care of yourself 1st then you can take care of everyone else better). I'm the same as last week. Just talking/venting has helped. I'm feeling more motivated by the minute. Wish me luck this week and I'll do my part to stay on track. Take care, Greg

It's always hardest taking the good advice that we give other people, isn't it? :) Since you have the knowledge of what needs to happen, you are in a better position to start from than most of us. Talk to Wifey (if you haven't already) about how you feel bad about working out. Sometimes you just need the feedback from her that it's ok and that she's happier about you working out and treating yourself well. Make it a point to cover for each other (if the kids are too young to be left to their own devices) while one works out. I've had to learn it the hard way, but a healthy family is a happy family. I know you can do it! We'll see you back here next week - remember there are 7 days between now and then. That's seven brand new oppotunities to start fresh in the next week - No opportunity wasted! :)

-Frank

Well, I'm nothing if not consistent -- 241 #, same as last week (and the week before, and...). Since Oct. 1 I have been working our more consistently and with much more variety than anytime since I played competitive sports in college, and I've lost very little in that time. Maybe it's just where I am supposed to be. When I tell people what I weigh, most people are surprised, and when I tell them my goal is another 15-20, they're usually shocked.

I must carry it well. But I see every extra pound, unfortunately.

That said, I have gained visible muscle, I haven't checked the body fat recently, but that was fine (average) last time I checked, and just had to let go of a pair of jeans that were just too big to hold onto anymore. I swim with (well, somewhat behind :) ) competitive (age group winner) triathletes, up to Ironman distance, and can run 1 mile + at a 10 minute mile pace (for me, that's big, could barely run one minute two months ago).

One day at a time....

Chris

ChrisM:
Well, I'm nothing if not consistent -- 241 #, same as last week (and the week before, and...). Since Oct. 1 I have been working our more consistently and with much more variety than anytime since I played competitive sports in college, and I've lost very little in that time. Maybe it's just where I am supposed to be. When I tell people what I weigh, most people are surprised, and when I tell them my goal is another 15-20, they're usually shocked.

I must carry it well. But I see every extra pound, unfortunately.

That said, I have gained visible muscle, I haven't checked the body fat recently, but that was fine (average) last time I checked, and just had to let go of a pair of jeans that were just too big to hold onto anymore. I swim with (well, somewhat behind :) ) competitive (age group winner) triathletes, up to Ironman distance, and can run 1 mile + at a 10 minute mile pace (for me, that's big, could barely run one minute two months ago).

One day at a time....

Chris
Don't forget, muscle is heavier than fat!

measure today on a different scale - so might be a pound or so off, but it said 228, so holding that little off i had before, but i need to work out more!

Bounced up to 235 this week, up 4.
Will power and motivation cannot overcome the drudgery of exersize with any consistancy. I need an active life style.
Why doesn't using a keyboard use more energy?

Tom

Back
Top Bottom