Diver's snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Thinking about getting hubby a new snorkel for Xmas. We have oceanmaster dry, which is wonderful for snorkeling, but way too heavy for diving. We do plan to keep on carrying snorkels though and I am looking at the Avid and the appollo flex both which fold up. Any opinions or other good suggestions? We WILL carry snorkels, so let's not argue about that... but just which one?? Thanks

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Snorkels.asp

The fold up snorkels are great: you can put the snorkel in your pocket then attach them to your mask when you need it. Oceanic also makes one.

Regular snorkels will work, of course, but I personally hate getting smacked in the face by my snorkel in a current. Thwack, thwack, thwack, this thing's gotta go!!!

I purchased one of these:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.a...temIndex=2&CategoryID=959&Context=954&Filter=

It is light, and small. It works fine, even if NOT curved. I do have a One complaint: The tubes tend to extend when carried around and not in use. I put some velcro over the thing to hold the tubes in when not in use. Problem solved.

Things I like.. CHEAP/Compact/works/Nice QR/CHEAP! Purge value seems to work about as well as any snorkel I've tried. I tried a couple expensive dry snorkels out during my OW pool sessions. Did not seem to make much difference, a bamboo shoot may work also. I'm very used to blowing when I hit the surface, generally swim on my back, and don't like to snorkel in rough seas, so dry for me is not a factor :wink:

Ron

AmyJ:
Hey all,

Thinking about getting hubby a new snorkel for Xmas. We have oceanmaster dry, which is wonderful for snorkeling, but way too heavy for diving. We do plan to keep on carrying snorkels though and I am looking at the Avid and the appollo flex both which fold up. Any opinions or other good suggestions? We WILL carry snorkels, so let's not argue about that... but just which one?? Thanks

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Snorkels.asp

I like the looks of that Avid.

Got me wondering now...

I'm going to see if there isn't someplace on my BC I can stow my old 'wet' snorkel (you know, the plain black ones with the red tape around the end, no purge, no flex), then pull it out and run it under the mask strap when I want to use it...

But that Avid sure is cool looking...

I got the Apollo flex. It's a pretty good snorkel but even though it folds easily, it doesn't fold into a nice neat package. And it doesn't come with anything to keep it folded. After trying a few things I finally ziptied a piece of bungie into a loop like a sturdy rubber band to keep it folded up. But it's still hard to put in a pocket.

I had the telescoping one from L.P. (got lost on a dive - don't want to leave it on your mask strap) it did not fit in my pocket well, even collapsed, but it did work very well as a snorkel. Switched to the Avid collapsible with the corrugated tube - it folds up very small and neatly for my pocket, but I don't like using it because it traps so much water in the hose you have to continually clear it - but in case of emergencies I've got it - I do my surface swim on my back and don't really need it.

there's my lil' bit of input.

Aloha, Tim

I must be the only one that likes having my snorkel in place. I use a genesis dry snorkel and like it so much that I bought another one. I would keep your dry snorkel. The only time mine bothers me is when we ride the DPVs.

if you have a dive knife on your leg, why not clip the snorkel to the knife straps, it works for me
:wink:

I'm planning to get the apollo. Will be stowed in drysuit pocket. The only reason I'm buying it is because PADI standards say you have to wear a snorkel. As a DM, I will follow standards. The shop owner already called PADI as I wasn't the first to clarify exactly what "wear" means. PADI is ok with stuffing it in the pocket and so is the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom