WHERE are aircraft wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BOOinTX

Reaction score
Does someone know of a good source for maps (worldwide) of aircraft wrecks? ... I found this neat wallchart of shipwrecks:
FL KEYS wreck wallchart

and wonder if there's one out there for planewrecks!

BOO,no idea abot maps,but I can tell you there are a lot of aircraft lost by the Navy.Few of them are accessable tho_Off Jax we have several.An F-4,a Banshee,several unidentified and 3 piles of A-6 and A-7 frames.I dive them quite a bit as big snapper are attracted to aluminum for some reason.If you have any luck let us know.BTW....born in San Antone myself. Go EGG Go AGI Go AJJ.......uh HOOKEM' HORNS

There are the remains of a blimp off the Jersey shore... but from what I heard all that is left is some struts on the sand. Outside of the helicopter at Dutch Springs, I don't know of any up here.

Ty

Hiya,

the superior British magazine "Diver" ran a story on aircraft wrecks the world over in November. They're on the net, and this article can be found at

http://www.divernet.com/wrecks/1101planes.htm

Some of the Mediterranean wrecks above can be found in the Swan Hill book "Diving Guide to the Mediterranean Wrecks". The title is a misnomer, but it's still a great guide. There are far more aircraft in the Med than the poor Calvi B17, the Sparrowhawk and the Lightning ...

Also, various diving guides to Corsica etc. also feature the most famous wrecks. In addition, you'll find famous aircraft wrecks in Northern Norway etc. In north Cyprus (the Turkish-occupied part), there is a pristine Spitfire, for example. Unfortunately, the pilot is still in the cockpit ...

Regards.

EveryDiver:
That is one fantastic web site/magazine you linked us too.
I could barely pull myself out of there.
The '100 best wreck dives' to the article on the 'Sparrowhawk' .. made it well worth the link.
Thanks.

Here are a few off Panama City...

Aircraft N30 09.22 W85 50.43
Aircraft East N30 02.23 W85 48.41
Aircraft West N30 07.16 W85 49.68
Helicopter N30 02.35 W85 43.31

Rick

I would like to second Natasha's post and say that was a very informative website/magazine everydiver.

"What one can imagine, another can create"

Dived this wreck a few years back and it's a good aircraft wreck dive, only minutes from the Dive ops in Vila. Also nearby is the wreck of a iron clad clipper called 'The Star of Russia' @ 80ft, she's all ribs and keel, but you can still find a seat in the 'Heads'

There's also a WW11 US fighter over on the west coast of Efate just off the coast from an old wartime US airfield/navy base.

PNG has numerous WW11 wrecks, both Jap & US, the best being a B 17 on the east coast just offshore but at 100+ft you can't stay too long.

AusWiz

Back
Top Bottom