Loloata ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
HAs anyone out there been to LOLOATA ? After we finish with Star Dancer and Walindi we could have a day at Loloata, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this dive op?

Thanks,
Caymanaic :crafty:

Spent a couple of days at Loloata in Feb/March 2004. Adam and Nienke(spelling?) run an extremly professional and well run dive-op at the island. Even though I was there during the off-season, the diving was great. Lacy scorpionfish, pygmy seahorses etc. Will definately spend some time at Loloata next time I get to PNG, really enjoyed the island. By the way, watch out for sea snakes on the path from the main restaurant back to your room at night. They can be quite tricky to jump over after a few SP Lagers.....
Cheers, Olof

Have not been to Loloata resort but do check out the Pacific Gas wreck, quite nice. The Dive center located at Airways Hotel have a friendly bunch of people there.

I just returned from PNG and was at Loloata from 7-12 November. Definitely recommend 3-4 dive days there on your way in or out of PNG. My favorite dive sites were:
1. Suzie's Bommie
2. The End Bommie (3 Lacy Scorpionfish)
3. Pumpkin Patch
4. Pacific Gas wreck
5. Pai II wreck
6. The Pinnacles
7. The muck diving around Lion Island was OK.

Got great pictures of the sea snakes on the path back to my bungalow. Also, of the pigeons (largest and prettiest I've ever seen) on my porch.

caymaniac:
HAs anyone out there been to LOLOATA ? After we finish with Star Dancer and Walindi we could have a day at Loloata, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this dive op?

Thanks,

pazz:
I just returned from PNG and was at Loloata from 7-12 November. Definitely recommend 3-4 dive days there on your way in or out of PNG. My favorite dive sites were:
1. Suzie's Bommie
2. The End Bommie (3 Lacy Scorpionfish)
3. Pumpkin Patch
4. Pacific Gas wreck
5. Pai II wreck
6. The Pinnacles
7. The muck diving around Lion Island was OK.

Got great pictures of the sea snakes on the path back to my bungalow. Also, of the pigeons (largest and prettiest I've ever seen) on my porch.

How about some pics of the sea snakes. Also, did you happen to see the bird of paradise while you were there?

Just returned from PNG and dived Loloata for two days (before Milne Bay...awesome, and Walindi....exceptional). The sea was mirror calm and the diving was great. Be SURE to get to Suzie's Bommie. Although they dive in practically all weather, it's best to email them to ask when the windy/bad viz seasons are. The viz was generally good for my stay - 60 - 80' - I was told it can be poor. The rooms and food are good. If it's bad weather time, why not stay at Walindi for more time?

If you are just stopping in Moresby, the Airways Hotel (3 minutes from the airport) is surprisingly nice. The dive shop there offers day trips to exactly the same sites as Loloata. However, staying on the island is special.

Have fun. PNG rocks in my book. Lyn

lynthefin:
Just returned from PNG and dived Loloata for two days (before Milne Bay...awesome, and Walindi....exceptional). The sea was mirror calm and the diving was great. Be SURE to get to Suzie's Bommie. Although they dive in practically all weather, it's best to email them to ask when the windy/bad viz seasons are. The viz was generally good for my stay - 60 - 80' - I was told it can be poor. The rooms and food are good. If it's bad weather time, why not stay at Walindi for more time?

If you are just stopping in Moresby, the Airways Hotel (3 minutes from the airport) is surprisingly nice. The dive shop there offers day trips to exactly the same sites as Loloata. However, staying on the island is special.

Have fun. PNG rocks in my book. Lyn

Hi Lyn, welcome to the scuba board. Thanks for the response. We will be going to Loloata after Walindi and Star Dancer. We never been to PNG and really are looking forward to it.
Were you land based the whole trip? We were in the Coral Sea two years ago on a liveaboard about in the same time frame (July) and we had calm waters as well. How would you compare the diving in PNG with other places you have been?

cdiver2:
How long now Cay

Down to just under (178days) 6m and counting!
So you've decided to go to Palau & Yap. I have looked at those two destinations as well. Yap will be great for the culural aspect and Mantas, then Palau will be great for animals and the Blue Corner!
What's your count down look like?
We both have plenty time to drool at our destinations and search more info at this and other boards.

Dive Safe,

caymaniac:
Down to just under (178days) 6m and counting!
So you've decided to go to Palau & Yap. I have looked at those two destinations as well. Yap will be great for the culural aspect and Mantas, then Palau will be great for animals and the Blue Corner!
What's your count down look like?
We both have plenty time to drool at our destinations and search more info at this and other boards.

Dive Safe,

293 days but to look on the bright side as you said doing a lot of research.
What is the cost of the PNG trip we got air accommodation (best rooms in each resort) diving and some meals for $4604 each still wondering if it would have been any cheaper to go back to Walindi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom