Best fins for scuba spear fishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hardwick

New
Reaction score
Like to get some input on fins.Don't really have alot of experience ,would like to know the fin choice of scuba/spearfishing.Any help would be appreciated..

Fins are one of those things that are incredibly subjective, both as to performance and to 'best' in terms of quality. Moreover, your question is open to interpretation. Generally speaking, fins used for spearfishing which is done while freediving - e.g. while the 'diver' is snorkeling - tend to be very long. Fins used for 'spearfishing' while on scuba are generally shorter, fins designed for scuba diving - not freediving.

On the homepage header, just below where it says "welcome Hardwick" you'll see some function buttons, third from the right is the "Search" button. If you put 'split fins' in there, you'll be able to search through many threads in the archives where fins are argued over, debated, etc.

Like many other things in life, fins fall on a continuum. Split fin users maintain that they are easier to use, offer less resistance to your leg muscles, hence lessen likelihood of cramps, etc. Perhaps they do - but they tend to move less water, so in current your performance may be compromised. Of course, if you have powerful legs, you don't care. Other users note that the kick cycle for splits may vary. There are observations on both sides of the debate.

Best advice is to get a pair that fit you, and rent different pairs until you find a fin type that makes the best sense to you, for the type of diving you intend to do. You'll get all sorts of input on the boards, some of which may apply to you, some of which won't.

Some searching will offer you a wide variety of opinions to explore. Good luck.

Hardwick:
Like to get some input on fins.Don't really have alot of experience ,would like to know the fin choice of scuba/spearfishing.Any help would be appreciated..

Many of the hardcore spearos choose long, stiff freediving fins. I don't fully understand that choice. I have used them, I have used jet-fins and I have used twin jets. I'm not really hard core, and I don't see a tremendous amount of difference between any of them. The splits and the feediving fins offer more top speed, the jets offer more precise control with minimal movement. They each have pro's and cons.

Hardwick:

Hardwick, a little more info may be helpful but I can say that I use Volos while on scuba and C4 Falcons while freediving. What kind of thrust do you need from the fin; are you spearing large fish? How efficient is your kick?
While the Volos are efficient, a good pair of long blades (esp C4's) will get you where you want to go rather quickly. If I were to suggest a fin for scuba/spearing, i'd likely go with a Mares Quattro.
You also might want to pose your question with the spearing experts in the hunting forum.

Long blades are the way to go. Never seen a spearo frog kick cause we ain't in a cave so short inefficient fins are out for me. Another thing that comes into play is trying to chase down a fish that is swimming away with your shaft. The longblades have an overdrive gear. Kick a little harder and you'll pick up good speed to run the fish down.
Longblades have a few negatives such as manueverability in a boat but I think they are worth it.
The only problem I've had in heavy sustained currents were with the Jetfins I used to dive with. They were great for a 10 foot burst but for 30 minutes of fighting a current the longblades and my splits and even full foot quattros are much more efficient.
I think the fullfoot fins transfer power much better than open heel fins. I never get cramps due to the foot pocket only partially covering my foot. Also, they are very streamlined, never break straps, and don't flop around on your foot due to sloppy fitting foot pockets.
Good luck!
Good luck.

Definitely long blades.

Most serious shooters in Florida use them for both free and scuba spearfishing. Cressi-sub made long rubber full foot fins called the Rondine L back in the late 70s, that's when I hung up my Jets. Cressi Garas were out with plastic blades with no ribs on the tip by 1980, I've stayed with them ever since. There are many good long fins. Tried every new style of power fin...got to have that speed and cruise. Splits are a joke...the bike's stuck in first gear, sure it's effortless, but you might get out run by a red grouper!

Chad

This is truely a question that can go any on forever! If you ask several people you will get almost as many answers.
I can see a trend though with the Blades. I have been using blades for 10 years now and I've tried others and just can't find anything that I like more. I did a search on ebay for Blades and there is a set of Med ones without a reserve and no bidders ending around 3PM EST.
I have tried the split fins and can't stand them. I was in Blue Springs free diving into the mouth, against a good current and I was using my blades and getting into the mouth and then shooting out the other side. There were some Navy guys there on leave from Cali and they were freediving too with splits. They let me try them and I could only get to the mouth before turning around.
I like to be able to push through the water and move not kick a bunch of times and barely get anywhere.
The longer blades can be a pain in a boat with a bunch of people BUT what are fins for anyway walking in a boat or moving you through the water!!!! ?

My 2cents! Go with longer fins for more power moving through the water, shorter fins for more control when we are going REAL slow. You would be surprised at how easily you can move around when you are stopped with long stiff fins like the blades.

Doc Intrepid explained it very well. Everyone has a preference. There are pro's an con's for every fin. If you want to get the best bang for you bucks and get fins that really do what you want, rent them for awhile.
I have Scubapro Twin Jets for manuverability and stability. For shore dives and less strain on my legs I have Sherwood Trek split fins.

Both are great fins and perform well for what they are designed for.

My $.02

Joe

I use SP TwinJets,love to see someone be able to swim into current as fast or catch me on a long swim back to the boat wearing longblades.So far it hasn't happened,then again I'm not old or out of shape so kicking fast doesn't cramp me up.Long blades work great for freediving as they require slower movement which uses less 02 outta your bloodstream.On a small to medium boat they can really get in the way,on a bigger boat you don't have tight clearances.This could turn into a "my dad's better than your dad"quick as it is real subjective.

Back
Top Bottom