Morrison / Vortex spring report 12/10/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I checked out Morrison and it was high with brown water. I saw something that divers should watch out for while I was at Morrison this morning. A medium sized MOTORIZED johnboat was beaching and being loaded on a trailer right in the "beach" area. I hope no one gets hurt using that area for swimming and boat loading together. I decided to go to Vortex to spend my day. Vortex had a lot of particles in the water considering there were no divers there today. They put 400 new Koi in the spring so maybe it's too much Koi poop? I posted some pics in my gallery if you are interested.

SeaYoda:
I checked out Morrison and it was high with brown water. I saw something that divers should watch out for while I was at Morrison this morning. A medium sized MOTORIZED johnboat was beaching and being loaded on a trailer right in the "beach" area. I hope no one gets hurt using that area for swimming and boat loading together. I decided to go to Vortex to spend my day. Vortex had a lot of particles in the water considering there were no divers there today. They put 400 new Koi in the spring so maybe it's too much Koi poop? I posted some pics in my gallery if you are interested.

Mmmm..... Koi.... Good eating..... almost as good as Vortex Brim....

Thanks for the heads up on the boat at Morrison... Doesn't surprise me now that it is unregulated to see boats there though. Locals have been wanting to fish the area for a long time I'd imagine...

Thanks
Danny

I came across a few motorboats that last few times I had been able to dive Morrison as well. One of them was towed in on a 4wheeler :) LOL. I've been bringing a flag to Morrison for the last 2-3 trips.

400 Koi? Wow, that seems like an aweful lot. I guess they don't all hang around the basin though... I hope. I'd like to see something other than orange/white while I'm at Vortex :)

Bugman,
I just got my towing dive flag the other day with an order from L____, that online place which shall remain nameless. Bought it when getting some gifts for others... with the thought that I'd break it in at Morrison soon. Alas, have been kicked in the butt with flu for five days now. Can't clear my ears on the couch... but need a December dive. Will persevere.
But the flag must be really necessary at Morrison now. Should come in handy. Right now it's standing in my cheapy weight bag, four feet high and in a permanent breeze... cough, cough.

It was definately a suprise to see a boat or two being towed into the beach entry area, but it definately got more common in the past few dives at the location.

I'm looking to goto Morrison on the 17th or 18th, assuming the weather holds out and the water drains a bit. NOAA shows the river levels peaking on the 13th and dropping below a bankfull by the 15th. Any luck and the weather will hold out allowing us to get a days worth of diving there, it'll be cold in the water 67-68º and probably colder above(we usually get there at 8AM to avoid the crowds) at this time of year. If you manage to pull out of the flu in time, you are more than welcome to join us. Thread about it here http://www.scubaboard.com/t79930-12-11-04_morrison_springs.html

Could very well be my last dive for 2004 :(

BoulderScubaGuy:
...Thanks for the heads up on the boat at Morrison... Doesn't surprise me now that it is unregulated to see boats there though. Locals have been wanting to fish the area for a long time I'd imagine...
I wonder how well those boats can swerve through the dive flags of all those people that take their classes there. I try to dive at off peak times so I'll be a lone target for them :D.

SuPrBuGmAn:
...400 Koi? Wow, that seems like an aweful lot. I guess they don't all hang around the basin though... I hope. I'd like to see something other than orange/white while I'm at Vortex
They seemed to stay in the shallows and under the docks for the most part. Those areas did seem to be very orange, white, and black.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom