Fort Pierce REPORT.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The Diving is back to do-able on the Treasure coast. I went today and had a whopping 10' visability. The water was cold and milky but the bottom VERY different then Pre- (The big swirling Storms whose names shan't be said). Shhhhh.

The profile at Pepper park previously was a mossy little outcropping then a very small ledge of 6" to 12" then further out the actual ledges of 2' to 5'. The small outcropping is gone the (big swirlies F & J) blew that away. The second set of ledges had large holes washed out where I guess sand laid before. There where the usual seventeen trillion blennies and urchins. Not as many sea cumcumbers as before. Small tropicals and the little tasty searoaches sticking their antenae out from under the rocks! I saw a HUGE one Way back under. It was as big as the pillow on my bed! I normally only see little lobster that have to be carefully measured.

I did not opt for the lobster stamp this year, of course I see them all over now.

It was deserted. TWO life guards buzzed over on four wheelers to ask me what I saw. They also commented that they have not seen anyone diving since the "Big Blow and The Big Blow II Return of the Roof Ripper. I did not see any houses or lawn furniture. I was hoping to get a gas grill or a complete set of out door patio furniture.. oh well not all of us can find stop signs!

The water was aprox 74* (forgot to look am guessing) smalll wave action and light current.

No spanish gold though.. Today was NOT the day.

Eric

74 degree water? cold? I'm confused. lol Nice report, thanks for posting it.

It felt cold like a spring dive (which are always 72*) but not like the freezing dive Oct 2002 in Venice is was 60ish! That was unbareable! The fish where even blue! Well, some where!

Orlando Eric:
The Diving is back to do-able on the Treasure coast. I went today and had a whopping 10' visability. The water was cold and milky but the bottom VERY different then Pre- (The big swirling Storms whose names shan't be said). Shhhhh.

The profile at Pepper park previously was a mossy little outcropping then a very small ledge of 6" to 12" then further out the actual ledges of 2' to 5'. The small outcropping is gone the (big swirlies F & J) blew that away. The second set of ledges had large holes washed out where I guess sand laid before. There where the usual seventeen trillion blennies and urchins. Not as many sea cumcumbers as before. Small tropicals and the little tasty searoaches sticking their antenae out from under the rocks! I saw a HUGE one Way back under. It was as big as the pillow on my bed! I normally only see little lobster that have to be carefully measured.

I did not opt for the lobster stamp this year, of course I see them all over now.

It was deserted. TWO life guards buzzed over on four wheelers to ask me what I saw. They also commented that they have not seen anyone diving since the "Big Blow and The Big Blow II Return of the Roof Ripper. I did not see any houses or lawn furniture. I was hoping to get a gas grill or a complete set of out door patio furniture.. oh well not all of us can find stop signs!

The water was aprox 74* (forgot to look am guessing) smalll wave action and light current.

No spanish gold though.. Today was NOT the day.

Eric

Hey thanks for the report. Have you been diving around Port St. Lucie any?

Isn't that all private beach by the various condo's. Not aware of any good spots there (St Lucie resident only 1yr 7 mths). If there is a good spot I'll check it out...

Orlando Eric:
Isn't that all private beach by the various condo's. Not aware of any good spots there (St Lucie resident only 1yr 7 mths). If there is a good spot I'll check it out...
There's none that I know of either. It's either Fort Pierce or Jensen Beach. I'm glad to hear Pepper Park is divable again (I have yet to do it).

WE :D went out with Don & Rob today and hit WPB. Viz was 25 feet, temps at 75 (brrrrrrr)

Nice report Eric! Things are finally starting to look up here again.

I can't belive you guys call 75 degree water brrrrr. I do that in shorts and a tshirt. You'all gotta take a trip up north someday. In about a month I'll be diving in 32 degree water.

fiddler:
I can't belive you guys call 75 degree water brrrrr. I do that in shorts and a tshirt. You'all gotta take a trip up north someday. In about a month I'll be diving in 32 degree water.

:11: yikes

The Only 32* water I am getting near is in squares and sits in a fine glass of Scotch!

Anything below 80 degrees is cold. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I just ordered a 7 mm suit to dive in cold water (see my definition of cold above). Yes, I'm a warm water wimp and don't care who knows.

I am happy to see that Pepper Park is good to dive. I'll go try it out sometime soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom