Are there shark dives in Utila (not whale),

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gt2003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are planning on going to Utila this May. We've heard a lot about the diving as well as the whale sharks. My question is, are there operaters who have trips available to dive with other types of sharks? I thought I saw a post about it somewhere but couldn't find it using the search option. I would rather get an idea of the best operators, how the dives are done (cage, non-cage) etc. before we go. Let me know what options I have. Thanks, Greg

gt2003:
My wife and I are planning on going to Utila this May. We've heard a lot about the diving as well as the whale sharks. My question is, are there operaters who have trips available to dive with other types of sharks? I thought I saw a post about it somewhere but couldn't find it using the search option. I would rather get an idea of the best operators, how the dives are done (cage, non-cage) etc. before we go. Let me know what options I have. Thanks, Greg

I hope not!! Some other dive destinations have made it unlawful.

Regards,

Hmmm, didn't know it was "restricted". I'm not looking to do something thats illegal or considered unethical. But, if its not restricted and there are some quality operations let me know. Thanks again, Greg

Hi all

There are no shark dives on Utila, there is one on Roatan, Utila decided that they would not artificially bring in sharks.

Occasionally we will see sharks on the reef, hammerheads, reef sharks, etc etc.

Thanks! Was just looking for something a little different. My wife is fascinated by sharks and has always wanted to do something like this. If its not too difficult it would be a great side trip when we go to Utila later this year. Any idea if this would be feasible from Utila? Thanks again, Greg

Hi Again

Yes it would work to do a trip to Roatan, there is a guy here that will organise a private flight if you wish or you can take the ferry to Roatan but then you will have to arrange the trip for a couple of days, if you have any more questions please feel free to PM me

Must admit I never saw a "real" shark (other than nurse sharks) while diving Utila or Belize earlier this year. Was quite disappointed. Of course it is an extreme rarity to see anything here on Catalina other than horn, leopard or swell sharks. I remember 30-35 years ago we saw blues quite frequently.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom