NICe Wreck dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverman

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good wreck dives where the ship is still intact? I went on one in Bermuda ( it was rather small ) but we got to swim right inside the bathroom and everything. I was just wondrin if anyone new any realy goo intact reck dives.

If you're interested in ships that were sunk as part of reef projects you could probably find quite a bit of stuff that's fairly intact. We dove the Fang Ming off of La Paz, Mexico and it was still basically intact. We didn't do much penetration because we're not trained for that so I don't know what's beyond the holds. For diving closer to home I have a book called "Dive Michigan Underwater Preserves" published by Out of the Blue Productions 4658 S. Lakeshore Lexington, MI 48450. It lists the wrecks in the preserves and tells what kind of shape they are in. There are quite a few that are still in "excellent" shape.
Hope this helps.
Ber :bunny:

Oh Cool, Thanks.

Yeah I think wreck dives are pretty cool. I would love to find some Gold on one, but hey doesn't everyone? I wonder what i would do with all the Gold hmmm.....

If you're prepared to travel all the way to Thailand, the King Cruiser wreck about 10 miles out of Phuket Town is a great dive. The ship was a catamaran hulled car ferry being used to transfer building materials to Phi Phi Island when it hit Anemone reef and sank in around 1997 or 1998. The strong rumour was that it was an insurance scam since it was about 2 miles off course and the captain would have been able to see Phi Phi. Also there just happened to be a lot of boats in the area so everyone was offloaded safely!

Anyway the wreck was towed about a mile to its present location between Anemone Reef and Shark Point. It sits upright in 30-32m on a sandy bottom with the wheelhouse at about 11m. The car deck is open and is a reasonably safe swim through. The wreck is teeming with marine life and is pretty intact. there are mooring lines off the bow and the stern which you use to descend since the surface currents can be strong. They are not a problem when you get down to the top deck. All the Phuket dive operators list it as a daytrip.

If you can afford a speedboat to get you out there before the Phuket dive operators then do so as it can be like Piccadilly Circus/Times Square on the mooring lines with divers descending bumping into those doing their 5m deco stop.

If you want to come to Kingston Canada we have a few.
The Wolfe Islander, the Davies, and about 13 others dating back to 1860.

If you get to New Providence Island in the Bahamas (Nassau), there is a wreck called the Carib _____ (can't remember the last part of the name).

The depth ranges from about 10 - 40 feet. It's a fairly large ship and was in excellent condition in spring of 2001. Growth on the ship is minimal. Penetration was very easy due to the wreck's condition and the amount of light at that depth. Even found some phones still on the walls.

Thanks for that one Welshman - may have to pop down there as I am beginning to miss my wreck diving.....

Another one if our American friends want to travel is Salem Express in the Red Sea off Safaga. Ferry that went down in about 1990 - not an insurance job this one as there was a lot of lives lost - no one really seems to know how many as it was returning with pilgrims from Mecca, and let's just say a tad over laden.....

There's also that one in the Med - Malta I think - not been there but I here it make the Thistlegorm look like the city on a weekend - except Marathon day that is, way to go Paula!

Jonathan

Hmmm..
Looks like I gotta start going round the world to get to some of these places. Gives me an excuse to get away fer a while ya knoww..... :D Anyone know of any good wreck dives near the New England that I could bribe my family to go to?

Hey Does anyone know any good dives that aren't ship wrecks but are like ummmmmm..... I guess you might call them Wrecked Cities. I was readin in some book that someone went divin in an old city that had been covered over by the sea. Was wonderin if anyone knew of any coool places like disa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom