Utila Dive Shop Referral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SterlingDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Utila Dive Operator Help!

My Family of seven (6 divers) are traveling to Utila in July of '05 for 10 days. We have lodging and airfare completed but I would like to figure out who the best Dive operator would be for our needs.

We have a varied level of expertise from Rescue Divers to a few that are still a little novice, so we won't be doing anything too rugged. We are going to dive 7 days, 2 tanks a day, plus two night dives. we are looking for a safe reliable shop that can give us our own DM for the week and preferablly our own boat. It sounds like the locals have fixed the prices and 10 dive packages are now $175 so cost shouldn't be part of our decision.

Here is our desired preferences in order:

-Safe, Reliable Operator & Equipment
-Private DiveMaster
-Own Boat
-Dive Lockers
-Captain that can find Whale Sharks

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Dave

Hi

I will happily try to give you any help you need, but the time time you are ariving is not a good Whale Shark time, there are some very good dive centers on the island, when you get here have a look around, if you would like any more info please PM me i will happily try to help you in what you need

Hi Dave,

I would check out Utila Dive Centre (www.utiladivecentre.com). All your criteria are met. I think you might already have been in touch? Feel free to PM me for more info.

SterlingDiver:
Utila Dive Operator Help!

My Family of seven (6 divers) are traveling to Utila in July of '05 for 10 days. We have lodging and airfare completed but I would like to figure out who the best Dive operator would be for our needs.

We have a varied level of expertise from Rescue Divers to a few that are still a little novice, so we won't be doing anything too rugged. We are going to dive 7 days, 2 tanks a day, plus two night dives. we are looking for a safe reliable shop that can give us our own DM for the week and preferablly our own boat. It sounds like the locals have fixed the prices and 10 dive packages are now $175 so cost shouldn't be part of our decision.

Here is our desired preferences in order:

-Safe, Reliable Operator & Equipment
-Private DiveMaster
-Own Boat
-Dive Lockers
-Captain that can find Whale Sharks

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Where you are going to stay may make a little bit of difference, particularly with a family of seven.The two ops I would suggest are Steve at www.deepblueutila.com. or Tex at www.riconet.de/ecomarine/. Deepblue is in the village.....ecomarine is a little west. However, you can walk anywhere, I, personally would give some consideration to walking distance with seven persons. Like Steve said.....check 'em out.

Regards,

You may also wish to consider the Bay Islands College of Diving, where I did my DM. for more info...
http://www.dive-utila.com/html/contact_us.html
BICD is sistered with the Utila Lodge, so they are used to dealing with that type of service at least. They definitely pay attention to safety, have some of the best equipment that I saw on the island (and I checked out most), and they also have a lot of good services on the premises.

You didn't mention where you were staying and that may make a difference depending upon how far you and the others want to walk in the morning to catch that early morning boat. Usually I would suggest just talking to shops once you get there because there is a shop to fit virtually every personality and type of diver, but it sounds like you want a bit more structure and personal attention to wing it all last minute. There are plenty of other posts on shops on Utila as well.

Best of luck! I'm sure it will be a blast!

Thanks for the suggestions.

As my family gets older these kind of trips are getting more rare. We also have tried to develop into travelers rather than tourists. When we have been most successful is when we have been able to have most of the variables pinned down rather than winging it.

We are staying at a private beach house that apparently is closest to BIDC and about a 10 minute bike ride from UDC. BIDC has been helpful so far with our inquiries, but can't accommodate our wish for our own boat. I have left inquiries with UDC but haven't received a response as of yet.

I'll check on a couple of your other suggestions here.

Thanks,

Dave

If interested, we have decided to dive the week with Tex and Gunter's Dive shop. Tex is able to accomodate our needs and comes highly recommended by several fellow divers.

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Dave

Actually I was thinking that might be a good choice, given where you said your accommodations were. I never dove with those folks, but drank with them on several occasions. They certainly seem like a good bunch! I'm sure that you will be in very capable hands. Have a blast!

SterlingDiver:
If interested, we have decided to dive the week with Tex and Gunter's Dive shop. Tex is able to accomodate our needs and comes highly recommended by several fellow divers.

Thank you for all of your assistance.

Dave

Good choice, Dave......You will have a wonderful and safe time with Tex and posse.

Regards,

As WebMaster for AboutUtila.com I am unable to show any bias towards any particular Dive Shop in Utila, however for a full listing of all the Dive Shops in Utila, plus links to their web sites, check out;
www.aboututila.com/Directory/IndexScuba.htm

the Utila Dive Site Map is available at;
www.aboututila.com/Maps/Map_Dive_Sites.htm

I am still in the process of developing the www.AboutUtila.com web site and plan to include a Diver Review section so that you will be able to read other peoples opinions on the various Dive Shops in Utila.

Back
Top Bottom