Is Florida Diving ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Whats up in Florida???? We are going to Clearwater from Dec24-Jan3rd. I emailed three different places to book some dive trips and not one of them have emailed me back yet.. So is this a bad time of year for dives? Does anyone have any suggestions? I always like to prebook and pay for my dive trips for some reason it has been difficult to do so in Florida. Being a business person myself I have no respect for a business that does not get back with a potential customer. I never had a problem in Hawaii, Cozumel or Belize....

you need to head southeast, we're all still diving down here

but Clearwater is not the diving mecca in Florida. If you are not going to go to the keys or SE Florida (West Palm Beach) most of the other dive areas do go to sleep for the winter (the next four weeks) Try Birds Underwater in Crystal River, www.birdsunderwater.com (352-563-2763) or American Pro Diving Center www.americanprodive.com (800-291-DIVE). The water quality in the Gulf is not as good as on the East Coast, but if you're only going to be in Clearwater, you're really limited. A lot of us dive the florida springs for the next two to three month, Ginne, Blue Grotto, Devils Den, etc. Let's see who else answers this thread?

If your diving the Gulf Coast, diving offshore hasn't been the greatest since the hurricanes. The vis has been rough, and at least for me, the sites we hit to spear have been OK, and to get to water like that we're going 15 miles out - takes about an hour. If you have weather like we did this weekend with 7-9 seas Saturday (typical with a cold front moving through) the water is a mess till at least mid week and by then your being run over with another cold front or if your lucky, your catching a break for a day and MAY hit a good day.

Last winter, I didn't do any Gulf diving after November, not returning to dive the Gulf until March. I went to the East Coast and participated in dives there. The Gulf Stream keeps the water is considerably warmer and it recovers to clear dive water sooner than the Gulf.

How far is Clearwater from the East Coast? or where there is some good diving? All I know is that I want to dive...do not know where though...

The springs are a good bet. Especially if you have never dove with the manatees, certianly something to do at least once in your life. Another DON'T miss ATTRACTion, Clearwater is home to the original HOOTERS!
:eyebrow:

East coast from Clearwater - your at the widest part of the state to go across there, travel would be about 2 to 2.5 hours to otherside. There is both shore diving and at least one charter I know of out of the Space Coast area.

If you don't want to make that drive, Crystal River and some of the springs are just north of Tampa about an hours drive. The manatee's seem to be up there lookin for love now :)

What type of diving are you looking for?????

Sprigs are good this time of year.

If you are driving you will come right by me.

a few miles north of 10 and a few south we can hit Morrison and Vortex.

Morriison looked good thismorning. I plan to hit it Friday and Vortex as well

Eyups , I agree on doing the springs... I also will be doing the springs this week in my free time...Ginny and maybe Blue down in Orange City...
And they are right , those manatees do need lovin !!!!

Jean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom