Does Anthoney's Key Resort in Roatan ever have specials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has ever seen AKR have specials? I have been watching for a few months, and they haven't had any. Well at least not anything significant. I thought maybe they would for low season. Something like second person half price or that type of thing. That please looks beautiful, and some day I would like to go there.

Darryl

Yes, they have specials. Low season for Roatan is the fall. You might have to wait until then to see advertised specials. If you email the now, maybe they'll let you know what they have coming up for that time.
Good luck.

Thanks Natasha,
So lets say I was looking at going there in late September/early november. When would you suspect they'd post their specials for that? What kind of specials have they had there in the past?

Also, what about airfare specials? When do they usually go on? I'd likely use my frequent flyer points to get to the cheapest US gateway, so from anywhere in the US to Roatan.

Thanks,

Darryl

You need to email AKR and ask them.
I thought you were going to Bonaire in the fall, no?

Hi Natasha,
Yes, going to be in Bonaire from Sep 14-29. Now that thats all planned and done, I can't help but start planning our next dive vacation :) in 2003. I really do enjoy dreaming about it . . .

The way I look at it, the more I watch when specials come out, the easy it will be to get them when I am ready to book.

I actually have emailed AKR a couple of times before I booked Bonaire, and I never did get a response.

For our honeymoon, it came down to Bonaire and Roatan. Bonaire won out for a few reasons:

1) we're on our honeymoon so what could be better than having the freedom to dive alone, as often as we want.
2) cheaper to go to Bonaire, and with wedding costs that was an issue
3) Weather - Bonaire seems to have incredibly consistant weather, meaning the odds of having our honeymoon ruined by weather were less in Bonaire than Roatan
4) arguably better diving

For our next vacation, right now its a tossup between Bali and Roatan. We can spend a couple of weeks in Bali very cheaply, and there is lots to do there besides dive. Staying at AKR with the dolphins sure has its appeal though as well.

DArryl

I love all your reasons for picking Bonaire for your honeymoon. I can see you have done your homework.
I'm not sure why AKR isn't emailing you back.
Here is the info I have from them.
akr@anthoneyskey.com
phone 1 800 227-3483 or 305-227-3483 or fax 305-666-2292
Good luck!

Thanks Natasha,
Thats the same email I had for AKR. Didn't bother calling though. I figured they're unlikely to give a discount not posted on their website anyways.

The one the thing I was wondering was if they'd give me a discount for staying 2 weeks instead of one. Wish they'd gotten back to me on this one. A lot of places will drop the cost of the second week I think. I do know that that certainly will be an issue, and I hope they would.

Or course, as always the value of the Candian peso (oops, I mean dollar) will have an impact as well.

Darryl

You may wish to reconsider the late September through early November time frame re going to Roatan. This is peak rainy season, and it can rain up a storm and rain often. This is also the tail end of hurricane season (recall that Hurricane Mitch hit at the beginning of November) and the Central American coast seems to get its hurricane hits in the later season.

Natasha's suggestion re calling US reservation office is your best bet if e-mail isn't happening. The staff in the US office can be quite helpful.

In the mean time, congrats on your impending nuptuals.

In going through my mail, I just noticed an AKR promotion. For travel from 9/7 - 12/21 and booked by 7/15, you can get 5,000 AAdvantage (American Airlines frequent flier program) miles. With packages starting at $600 pp/do for an all-inclusive vacation, that's hard to beat. Again, I'd avoid the late September to early November period, but Thanksgiving in the Bay Islands does have a nice ring to it . . .

Re fares, I just got notice that Grupo Taca has lowered its Miami to Roatan fare to $385. Be forewarned that Miami International is a zoo and GT's luggage check-in staff are slower than starfish (which one can find many in the shallows right at AKR!). Also, GT tends to get booked quickly (and the check-in process becomes exponentially longer) the closer you get to the Xmas holiday. And the tight reservations start as early as Thanksgiving. Better to go through Houston if you want a more friendly and relaxing gateway.

Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom