Destin(ScubaTech) Dive Report 12-12-04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had wanted to get on a boat and dive before the year ended and my original trip on the 4th was cancelled so we ended up going to Destin(which is where UnderWaterWorks is going to be running there boat trips until marina conditions are better locally) on the 12th. Waking up before 6AM and letting the car run with the defroster on high for 10min wasn't enough to melt the ice off the windows Sunday morning so I found another use for my C-card(ice-scraper). Josh Lambeth and I met up with Darcy(SBer), Bill, Sharkey, Matt, Chas and a bunch of his newest OW class students. The water was as flat as can be and the boat ride was nice, even though a bit chilly.

Our first dive was on the Main Bridge Span, visibility was 10-15' at best and alot of the dive had us in quite a bit lower vis'. The water had lots and lots of particle suspended in it and the bottom was covered in silt. I borrowed a friends SeaLife camera to take pictures, but very few came out(link to be included later) due to the water conditions. Temperatures were in the mid-high 60s and it seemed like everyone had enough neoprene to keep them warm while in the water. We saw several snapper, amberjack, spadefish, sheepshead, angels, soapfish, damsels, starfish, and other schooling fish around the dive site. I also spotted an octopus and nabbed a picture of it, I didn't recognize it as an octopus until looking over my pictures :) Matt speared a nice sized flounder(pic in the link) and Bill speared his first flounder as well - no luck for the rest of us(I'll use my camera as an excuse!).

After a chilly trip to our next destination, where most of the divers on board hovered around a heater in the cabin of the boat, we were in the water again. The 2nd dive site was on the Miss Louise Tug Boat. Visibility wasn't any better(possibly worse) and silt still covered everything and there was still alot of particles suspended in the water. Darcy took the camera hoping that the visibility would clear up and we'd have pics to prove it!.. of course it didn't :( I just brought the spear along and managed to spear two flounder in one jab, but one(the larger one of course) ripped away. Josh speared his first flounder in 8 years on the tug as well. Other than the flounder, we saw large schools of spadefish and other schooling fish. There was also a palm tree on the East-side of the wreck now, I'm sure compliments to Ivan.

On the way back to the marina the captain(or maybe 1st mate - not sure, I was changing into dry clothes) spotted a Mola Mola(Sunfish) swimming on the surface. We slowed down and the sunfish let everyone on deck get a nice look at it for a few minutes before it submerged into the deep. I saw it and decided I would throw some snorkel gear on and get the camera for some quick pics, but it took off before I finished gearing up. The Mola Mola was a first for me, hopefully not the last!

Despite the visibility, I think everyone had a good time and I didn't hear any real complaints. The crew of the SeaCobra was great and helped everyone in and out their gear and did an excellent job making sure everyone was happy. Everyone on the dive was great and it was nice meeting another ScubaBoarder - dive with us again Darcy!

Here are some pictures http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album39 these were the best of the pics taken - conditions weren't at there best though!

Glad you had a good trip. I hope the viz will clear up for spring - I've not been out on a boat for over a year and I'd like to get some pics.

Neat report. Sounds too cold for me though.

Water wasn't too bad, SI was chilly unless you hung out in the cabin with the heater :)

Thanks for the report and photos. I'm glad you don't call a dive "bad" just because the vis sucks... a few weekends ago I was in PCB (Hydrospace) and the vis was likewise limited. It was kind of spooky for me at the site I had never been to but then we hit a bridgespan and, being familiar with this sort of symmetry, I found it easier to put some visual discomfort on the backburner.
As for the Sea Cobra -- isn't Nancy the best Captain ever? She instills so much confidence and commands a great crew. The most professional dive op I've used in the panhandle is Scuba Tech.

Nancy is great, but a guy named Mark captained the boat this past trip. I had never met him before, but he did pretty well. Nancy does a better job IMO, like you said she can talk confidence into anyone, but I had no problems with Mark either. Other than this past weekend, Nancy had always captained the boat when I went out through ScubaTech.

I must say I was worried I would be a frozen Darcy-pop of sorts on the boat, but it really wasn't bad. I'm a native Florida girl so I thought I was a pretty big heat wuss. The water temp was comfortable with the 7 mil wetsuit and hood. It was a nice day to dive. With some hot chocolate and a warm fleece I was good to go.

It was nice to meet a fellow SBer too! Thanks for the tip on the dive Mat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom