Light cord leak on Helios

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAK52580

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

I was wondering if you happened to have the same problem that I did. I dove with my Halcyon Helios 4.5 in Sept for the first time off NC. When I got back, I noticed that water had leaked into the cylinder where the light cord entered. In addition, the salt water fried my connectors and the battery.

I sent it back to Halcyon and they repaired it in about a month. I just got it back, but before I go dashing for the shore, I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and how they resolved it.

Also, how can I prevent this from happening in the future?

I don't have an answer to your question, but rather a question for you -

Did Halcyon repair/replace the light cord under warranty? I have a Helios 4.5 myself that recently mysteriously flooded (some water in the lighthead but a majority of it in the canister) and because of the water in both 'ends', I'm sort of suspecting the light cord. Like you, my battery is (very visibly and obviously) fried; I have yet to test the bulb and ballast.

From what it looks like, much of the unit is intact. I think they may have replaced the seals though and maybe the cord. It is tough to tell since it flooded on my first use, so everything looked new to begin with. I know that right now it does work. I am at work so it is not underwater, but I turned it on for about 5 seconds and it lit up.... which is an improvement from what I had before I sent it back to them.

FreeFloat:
I don't have an answer to your question, but rather a question for you -

Did Halcyon repair/replace the light cord under warranty? I have a Helios 4.5 myself that recently mysteriously flooded (some water in the lighthead but a majority of it in the canister) and because of the water in both 'ends', I'm sort of suspecting the light cord. Like you, my battery is (very visibly and obviously) fried; I have yet to test the bulb and ballast.

MAK52580:
From what it looks like, much of the unit is intact. I think they may have replaced the seals though and maybe the cord. It is tough to tell since it flooded on my first use, so everything looked new to begin with. I know that right now it does work. I am at work so it is not underwater, but I turned it on for about 5 seconds and it lit up.... which is an improvement from what I had before I sent it back to them.

You should never lite up an HID light for less than a few minutes. And when you turn it off, let it cool down for a few minutes as well

Reinoud:
You should never lite up an HID light for less than a few minutes. And when you turn it off, let it cool down for a few minutes as well

Right. I knew that, I only turned it on for probably less than 10 sec just to make sure there was a connection since there wasn't before.

MAK52580:
Right. I knew that, I only turned it on for probably less than 10 sec just to make sure there was a connection since there wasn't before.

Yeah, don't do that. Not letting the light come up to full power before turning it off can do bad things to HIDs.

As for what happened to your light, did you ask Halcyon what the post mordem was? I could have been a cord problem. However, I just had an 18w develop a leak due to a balast seam leak. Water traveled down the cord to the lid, where I first noticed drops of water coming out of the cord.

How to prevent it in the future depends on what the problem was. I can tell you that if it was a balast seam leak, those just happen, and Halcyon has been very good at supporting that type of problem.

Thats what I think it may have been. My LDS, who sent it back said that there have been a lot of ballast seam leaks in the Helios, and you are right, Halcyon was helpful and fairly quick... it took about 4 weeks, which isn't too bad.

Question though... what exactly is the "ballast" and where is it? I was looking the in the owner's manual and it did not label it. I was just wondering for clarification.

mer:
Yeah, don't do that. Not letting the light come up to full power before turning it off can do bad things to HIDs.

As for what happened to your light, did you ask Halcyon what the post mordem was? I could have been a cord problem. However, I just had an 18w develop a leak due to a balast seam leak. Water traveled down the cord to the lid, where I first noticed drops of water coming out of the cord.

How to prevent it in the future depends on what the problem was. I can tell you that if it was a balast seam leak, those just happen, and Halcyon has been very good at supporting that type of problem.

This isn't really the right forum for this question is it :wink:

MAK52580:
Question though... what exactly is the "ballast" and where is it? I was looking the in the owner's manual and it did not label it. I was just wondering for clarification.

Mak,
You could always ask your LDS to call Halcyon and ask what the problem was. It's not like Corey is repairing 50,000 of these a year, they will probably remember/have a record.

You have the 10W right? I dont' know exactly where the ballast is on that model. On the 18w is the block-like thing on the lighthead behind the bulb. I'd assume that on the 10w that it would also be located behind the bulb assembly... but is alot smaller due to the lower wattage of the light.

mer:
Mak,
You could always ask your LDS to call Halcyon and ask what the problem was. It's not like Corey is repairing 50,000 of these a year, they will probably remember/have a record.

You have the 10W right? I dont' know exactly where the ballast is on that model. On the 18w is the block-like thing on the lighthead behind the bulb. I'd assume that on the 10w that it would also be located behind the bulb assembly... but is alot smaller due to the lower wattage of the light.
That would be correct - from what I can tell on mine, the ballast is contained in the round housing of the lighthead itself. Therefore, I would imagine that "ballast seams" leaking wouldn't be as big of a consideration (if it's a concern at all) although for all I know there may be a faulty seal somewhere in the lighthead that's endemic to the 10W.

I'm kind of curious now, how many Helios have cacked due to cord leaks? You'd think that if more than a few died that way, Halcyon would switch to a better (read: sealed) cord.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom