Diving speigal grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Just wondering what anyone had to say about diving the Speigai Grove. I am planning a Diving trip to West Palm and thought I may go dive the Speigal Grove while I am in the area.

Last year the current on the Spiegel Grove was wicked. From other posts, it depends on when you go. Just be prepared. It is a wonderful ship. The Duane is close by and also a large wreck. Can't wait to get back to it. The Benwood is a nice shallow wreck on a reef for your second dive after the Grove or Duane on the way in. Also, a night dive in the Keys is a must if you can make it happen! Have fun.

scuppertrout:
Just wondering what anyone had to say about diving the Speigai Grove. I am planning a Diving trip to West Palm and thought I may go dive the Speigal Grove while I am in the area.

When i visited Fl this summer, we were part of the crew that essentially got blown off the Grove. Me, Simbrooks, H2Andy, ScubaJenny and a bunch of us from the board... we're talking hanging on my our fingernails.

I mean, look at the thing... there's (essentially) no growth on it - that says a lot about the current (I think...)

The Duane rocked.

---
Ken

The Duane is my favorite dive in Key Largo. I've done the grove three times, and it is cool, but the Duane just rocks. As Mo2vation said, though, there's often a ripping current on both wrecks.

I did see some pics of the SG from a recent dive, and there is a lot more growth on it that when I was there.

The Spiegal is a good wreck to dive, its an advanced recreational dive and the conditions vary. We were down on it in November and there was very little current, but only about 30 feet of visibility. It is definetly a wreck worth diving, just because of its size and newness.

scuppertrout:
I dove the Spiegel Grove for the first time Nov 30th and I can't wait to go back. The thing is immense and definitely worth the drive down from WPB if you can manage it. There was almost no current the day we were there, which apparently is pretty rare. We also did for our second dive the Benwood, which is a nice shallow wreck. Went with Quiessence, which is a great, professional operation.

We did the Speigel back in June. The Viz was about 60=feet with almost no current at all. As you can see, it's a hit or miss. There isn't much growth on her yet, but pleanty of fishes to have a look at. I think her mass impressed me the most, swimming through her giant screws almost took my breath away. If the conditions are nice, I'd say go for it.

Cheers,
Vickie

I liked the Grove, I don't care about current or vis too much. I did back to back Grove dives on the Scubaboard Singles Keys trip. The first dive there were probably about 100 divers on the wreck. After a one hour interval all of the other boats had headed shallow for the second dive. My buddy and I were the last out on the first dive. Ten minutes into our second dive we had the entire wreck to ourselves. The next time I go I'll be doing whatever it takes to book back to back Groves, and to talk the op into leaving late. This would probably require chartering the boat, but would be worth it.

I have "dove the Grove" 3 times on two different trips.

The first time the current was ripping pretty good. Safety stops were horizontal, whether you wanted to or not. Masks were straining from faces. Still it was an awesome dive, our first deep wreck dive without an instructor. We didn't cover much area, but it was still very impressive. The anchor chains at the bow were cool.

The later dives on a subsequent trip were even better. There was a lot less current, and we were better divers so we covered more area. We were about 2/3 of the way back, and we cruised through part of the well deck (?).

Still haven't gotten to the stern yet, but hope to on our next visit.

As stated, there isn't a lot of growth yet, but some fish do congregate. The ship is immense, and you can't cover it all in several dives. I highly recommend it, but beware of the potential currents.

Somewhere I have alink to about 18 minutes of video. If I can locate that at home I will post it.

Wristshot

I'm thinking of going in late Feb or early Mar. Any idea on water temps and conditions during that period?

~~ HH

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom