What spear gun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49

Contributor
Reaction score
I need a gun. No scuba shooting, only snorkeling. (it's the law in Belize) I'm looking at JBLs, Competition and O.ME.R. All I ever used were banded with two to three bands. Anyone with input regarding quality of guns and perhaps opinions on pneumatics would be greatly appreciated. Hank

Hank49:
I need a gun. No scuba shooting, only snorkeling. (it's the law in Belize) I'm looking at JBLs, Competition and O.ME.R. All I ever used were banded with two to three bands. Anyone with input regarding quality of guns and perhaps opinions on pneumatics would be greatly appreciated. Hank

What conditions are you shooting in? vis, depth, bottom structure, shore, blue water?

What type of fish are you shooting? Size, top water or bottom fish?

The info will help in sugesstions for the proper gun type.

salty:
What conditions are you shooting in? vis, depth, bottom structure, shore, blue water?

Button reefs here around Placencia. 10-40 feet depth. Top of the reefs or down over the slope. 40-80 feet vis. Snappers, hogfish, jacks. 2-10 lbs (I hope) I probably need two guns?
How about the wood vs aluminum? Thanks, Hank

salty:

A B Biller guns...are they all they're hyped up to be? Wood or aluminum?

I would suggest you look in to a euro gun with a rail in the 90 to 100 cm range. Theas guns are light, strong, and easy to swing through the water. The gun will have a good range and can be used with a double wrap of line or used for freeshafting.

Since you freediving having a good light and powerful gun thats easy to manouver is important. Euro guns were designed for this type of fishing add a rail and the accuracy is insured. Look for a single 5/8 or 16 mm band and a 6.5 to 7 cm shaft. The light shaft combined with the 5/8 band gives you plenty of range and power.

I would look at Sporasub vipers, Aimrite arbalets, Rob allen guns, and Rabitech's.

Aluminum tubs are more than fine for what your shooting but if you have the extra cash a carbonfiber gun could be a choice.

As for the Biller guns I have never been a fan but to each there own.

I just notice your looking at omers, whil I dont own onw and have never shot one several shooter I know and respect have these guns. I would consider one of the higher end OMERs.

thanks Salty. I'll look up OMER's and the other brands you suggested on the web. One more question. For the line, do you recommend a reel type or the one you wrap around the pegs under the gun? It looks as though the reel slow down the spear. ??

Hank49:
thanks Salty. I'll look up OMER's and the other brands you suggested on the web. One more question. For the line, do you recommend a reel type or the one you wrap around the pegs under the gun? It looks as though the reel slow down the spear. ??
Reels are for larger fish, the spear still has a wrap or double wrap of mono shooting line than its connected to the reel line. When dealing with larger fish that could stop you from surfacing due to their strength or weight a reel is added to the gun or a flote line is used. When the fish is shot the reel is used to give out line as you head to the surface to fight the fish. Some people love reels some hate them, I like using a flote line because its a surface marker that can be seen at all times.

salty:
Reels are for larger fish, the spear still has a wrap or double wrap of mono shooting line than its connected to the reel line. When dealing with larger fish that could stop you from surfacing due to their strength or weight a reel is added to the gun or a flote line is used. When the fish is shot the reel is used to give out line as you head to the surface to fight the fish. Some people love reels some hate them, I like using a flote line because its a surface marker that can be seen at all times.

I have been drooling over the OMER web page. And I'm prety sure I'll have to get two guns. As soon as my kamikazi son sees mine, he'll want one too.
Many thanks, Hank

I got a highly modified JBL Comp XHD and works great, last week I got a 3.5 pound Capitan and some 9 pound groupers have made it to the BBQ due to this gun.

Parts are rarely needed and readily available in my area, I've been using JBLs (former Voit AMF) for 25 yrs, I know isn't the best gun in the world, but budget friendly and last for ever.

If you plan on spearfishing every weekend or on a comercial way, then you probably would want a custom full blown WONG GUN, but to me, to have a $600.00+ gun sitting in my closet for weeks on ocasions, won't cut it so I prefer the JBLs.

AB Billers, are more or less the same quality as the JBLs, but I've never tried them, thou I've only heard good things about them.

In the Wood vs Aluminum issue, the vast majority concludes that wood is better than alum due to bouyancy.

Avoid the pneumatics, too much trouble.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom