Questions about a June trip to Cocos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tater

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to Belize and Costa Rica with friends in June. I have decided to add on a liveaboard trip to Cocos Island. I am a female scuba instructor (not teaching anymore) and am in good physical condition. So, I'm not worried about my own ability to handle the difficult conditions. But my friend who is thinking of going with me is a relatively inexperienced diver. He is healthy and quite comfortable diving. Do you think the conditions would be too much for his third dive vacation?
Also, anyone been on the Okeanos lately? Any thoughts? This will be my first liveaboard.

Hi tater,

Of course, you'll have to make this call for yourselves, but I will express reservations about its appropriateness for a first live-aboard for you & 3rd dive vacation for your relatively inexperienced buddy.

It is a very long & often quite rough trip out & back, with little protected harbor once you arrive. The best sites usually have ripping currents & rocky areas covered with long-spine sea urchins. Chances are the majority of the divers on the boat will be experienced divers who are out for gonzo diving. A number will likely have been there before.

On the other hand, if you can cut it it'll be one of the best dives trips you'll ever take.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks for your candid reply DocViking. Just to clarify... I am a scuba instructor with 400+ dives. Do you still have a concern about this being my first liveaboard? If so, I definitely want to know! Thanks again.

Hi tater,

Dang, I was asleep at the switch as regards your experience level. The info was staring me in the face. I do apologize.

In that case, heavens no, you most definitely should go for it. Reservations regarding your buddy remain.

Do have fun.

DocVikingo

I'll be looking forward to your views of the trip. I am going in Feb next year on the Okeanos Aggressor and very few folks have been there... which is the best reason to go I guess.

Been there a couple of times, Greg. Provided there is no El Nino action, you'll have the time of your diving life.

Lucky you.

DocVikingo

For the cost, I hope so. I guess this trip will be the culmination of 2000+ dives over 35 years. That neverending quest to see more of what this ocean plane of our has been hiding (and protecting).

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the last trip, just the next one. While the subject is on another thread, this is why I do it; everyone of those dives has broadened my horizon to some degree, and I have never gotten even the slightest bit bored with it. Can't say that about anything else.

Well, I am definitely planning to go on the June 15-24 Okeanos trip to Cocos!! I am adding this on after a 10-day Belize diving trip and 6-day Costa Rica land trip! I'm feeling very lucky right now! Have decided to go it alone for the last leg as none of my dive buddies have enough experience. I'm sure I'll meet lots of new dive buddies during the trip.

Greg, I will definitely let you know how the trip goes for me. Hopefully no El Nino problems! I'll be keeping an eye on the NOAA site and hoping for the best.

One final note: if anyone has any recent info. on Hamanasi Resort in Belize, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks to all!

Tater

Here we are in the middle of July and I am dying to hear about COCOs Island. How was it? GREAT???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom