new to underwater hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8fulr2

Reaction score
Ok I am new to this. I will only be freshwater hunting for now. I have my own scuba gear and I already got a JBL Super Carbine for christmas. I was wondering if there is anything else I need to buy and where I can get good underwater instructions for safe hunting.
Thanks,
Ron

-Fishing License
-Fish Stringer
-Cooler Box

Good Luck!

gr8fulr2:
I was wondering if there is anything else I need to buy and where I can get good underwater instructions for safe hunting.
Thanks,
Ron

Stiletto knife
Kevlar goves
Fillet knife
Small dive light
Extra spears
" head
" bands
" line/shock cord

Can't help you with instruction unless you come to West Central Florida.

Chad

What exactly do you mean by freshwater hunting? What are you after?
I have done some spearing in mountain lakes in Utah for trout, definitly an art to it. The best way to go is set bait(can of dog food with holes punched in the can) below a thermocline and get above it where you can see the bait, but are hiding, the trout come in slow to investigate. They are very skittish and this is the only way I have had good shots at 'em.

gr8fulr2:
Ok I am new to this. I will only be freshwater hunting for now. I have my own scuba gear and I already got a JBL Super Carbine for christmas. I was wondering if there is anything else I need to buy and where I can get good underwater instructions for safe hunting.
Thanks,
Ron

Most of the guys I hunt with here in Arkansas go after a variety of game fish and rough fish. YOu will need a "stringer" to attach your catch, proper license(s) for your area, and make sure you know what the rules are!!! Most states do not allow spearfishing for game fish in fresh water. If they do, there will be special requirements.
Here the limit is half the regular fishing limit and there are special "closed seasons" for spearfishing, and limits on certain species and certain waters. Check carefully.

I use a pneumatic gun and most of my buddies do the same with 60 to 85 cm guns. Longer ones are a problem in low vis as you often find in the summer time. Its tough when the end of the gun dissapears in the murk and what fish you see are between your eyes and the end of the gun. Pneumatics are quicker to reload and that is important when you find a bunch of crappie and want to collect several before they all figure out what you are up to.

Most of all remember, these spear guns are as dangerous as firearms at close range! Don't shoot at anything without making sure what's there and that it is exactly what you intended. Also remember that a sharp spear point will cut like a knife and removing it from a fish can leave scars on your person if you are not careful. Fortunately for me most of mine are now rather dull from encounters bouncing off of rocks.

Good luck.

My best advice is to tag along with someone who can navigate you through both the technical and the local regulatory aspects, until you're comfortable working on your own. It takes a lot longer to learn everything yourself, and the mistakes you make can be more glaring. Lord knows I've made plenty of 'em...

adding in a boat is a nice accessory!!

taking a hunters safety class has little to do with actual spearfishing, but will teach you about how to handle a weapon and about the ethics of hunting/spearfishing as the ethics are very similar. Other than that, like arch said, tag along with someone who does it (you need a buddy in the water anyhow). Also some spearo videos or books would be good too. Your LDS can order these from their suppliers like Trident or National Divers. Also know your regulations, in california we can't touch a salmon or trout with a spear, nor other gamefish but carp and other "rough" fish are open without limits. carp are a great target to start out on, they are large, can tow you around of you hit a large one but they stay shallow so you won't get drug to the bottom. I'm not familiar with the other fish in Ohio.

This is a DVD that teaches people how to Spearfish.

Shot on location in Baja CA with actual customers learning on actual expeditions.
Has alot of great footage and tips for hunting. This DVD the method of spearfishing is by freediving. But with that exception the rest of the info is very usefull. Includes interviews with Jay and Julie Riffe from Riffe Spearguns.

http://www.spearfishingguide.com

Happy New Year!!!!!

GTB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom