CA diver visiting melbourne 21st-31st december

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akajack

Registered
Reaction score
I will be visiting my folks in Melbourne, (satellite beach) and was wondering where the best diving is in relation to this location. I hope to have a rental car and am willing to drive for great diving. I typically beach dive in Laguna Beach, CA weekly and welcome your warmer waters. My question is what to bring in terms of exposure suit. Also are there any groups that I can join for a dive. I belong to a club here and have found that most clubs know the best sites. I dive HP tanks with din valves, will those tanks be available to rent in FL? I am an advanced diver with over 1,000 dives since being certified at age 16 in 1985. Thanks for any help you can offer. Beach and boat information appreciated.

akajack:
I will be visiting my folks in Melbourne, (satellite beach) and was wondering where the best diving is in relation to this location. I hope to have a rental car and am willing to drive for great diving. I typically beach dive in Laguna Beach, CA weekly and welcome your warmer waters. My question is what to bring in terms of exposure suit. Also are there any groups that I can join for a dive. I belong to a club here and have found that most clubs know the best sites. I dive HP tanks with din valves, will those tanks be available to rent in FL? I am an advanced diver with over 1,000 dives since being certified at age 16 in 1985. Thanks for any help you can offer. Beach and boat information appreciated.

I would recommend the diving in West Palm Beach area. Check out my website for photos (www.debersole.com) I usually dive with Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures (www.scuba-adventures.com) or Pura Vida Divers (www.puravidadivers.com) in the West Palm area or Splashdown Divers (www.splashdowndivers.com) just south of West Palm in Boynton Beach. All of these guys will get you to the best sites. Realize that almost all of the diving in this area is drift diving so make sure you have a whistle or Dive Alert and a safety sausage. There are also some excellent shore diving sites in the Pompano Beach and Ft. Lauderdale area. Unfortunately, Phil Foster park in Riviera Beach is still closed to diving since the hurricanes due to submerged boats and debris.

The water temps are dropping into the mid 70s and usually bottom out in the low 70s in the dead of winter. I'm a Florida wimp and will be switching from my 3mm to my 5mm very soon! Most of the dive shops have aluminum 80s. I'm sure some must have steel cylinders with DIN valves.

Good luck! Let me know if you need a buddy while you're in Florida!

Doug

Hey there! I live right next to Satellite Beach. All the local diving - out of Port Canaveral or Sebastian Inlet - is on private boats...BUT you are about to get VERY LUCKY - a new charter boat out of Pt Canaveral JUST STARTED up!!! Art Boyd has a 34' Fitz and if he can get 6 divers on the boat, it GOES!!! :monkeydan It would probably be your best chance for some local diving if you wanna try it. His contact number is (321) 543-5879.

Do you have a DIN to YOKE adapter? It might be helpful to bring it - that or have your regs switched over to yoke for the week - most rental tanks are YOKE. Hatts Diving or Sea Dragons can set ya up for rental tanks.

West Palm and Jupiter will have better clarity and scenery as they are close to the Gulf Stream. There are plenty of charters to be found down there. The diving here is a bit more hard-core and mostly hunting for lobster or fish and not much look-see type of diving - the vis ranges from zero to 3 ft and I've heard about a whopping 10-20 ft lately and a single report of top-bottom. All dive sites out of Canaveral are 45+ and you'll only get reef/ledges in 90+ ft about 26 miles out of the port. Sebastian has some 15 ft beach diving - watch out for the surf surge and sea urchins, some 45 ft reef diving - which is quite pretty when the vis is good, and some 90+ ft ledges for hunting mostly. I did have a GREAT dive in January last year and saw HUGE manta rays and turtles out of Sebastian...but you've gotta have your skills and sh*t together to do the deep stuff on the local deep ledges, as it's not for the beginning or out-of-shape divers.

I was thinking about buying the din to yoke adapter anyway, so now I definitely will. The charter out of Pt Canaveral also sounds like a must do as well as trying to hit the gulf stream. 70 degree water is what we dream about in the summer here in california so I may bring my 7/5 henderson but go without the hood. Once I get to FL I'll see what the plans are and take it from there. Thanks again for the advice.
John

TropicalDiver:
Hey there! I live right next to Satellite Beach. All the local diving - out of Port Canaveral or Sebastian Inlet - is on private boats...BUT you are about to get VERY LUCKY - a new charter boat out of Pt Canaveral JUST STARTED up!!! Art Boyd has a 34' Fitz and if he can get 6 divers on the boat, it GOES!!! :monkeydan It would probably be your best chance for some local diving if you wanna try it. His contact number is (321) 543-5879.

Do you have a DIN to YOKE adapter? It might be helpful to bring it - that or have your regs switched over to yoke for the week - most rental tanks are YOKE. Hatts Diving or Sea Dragons can set ya up for rental tanks.

West Palm and Jupiter will have better clarity and scenery as they are close to the Gulf Stream. There are plenty of charters to be found down there. The diving here is a bit more hard-core and mostly hunting for lobster or fish and not much look-see type of diving - the vis ranges from zero to 3 ft and I've heard about a whopping 10-20 ft lately and a single report of top-bottom. All dive sites out of Canaveral are 45+ and you'll only get reef/ledges in 90+ ft about 26 miles out of the port. Sebastian has some 15 ft beach diving - watch out for the surf surge and sea urchins, some 45 ft reef diving - which is quite pretty when the vis is good, and some 90+ ft ledges for hunting mostly. I did have a GREAT dive in January last year and saw HUGE manta rays and turtles out of Sebastian...but you've gotta have your skills and sh*t together to do the deep stuff on the local deep ledges, as it's not for the beginning or out-of-shape divers.

Hatts Dive Shop is still closed due to hurricane damage so you may have to try another ds. Good luck with the diving here.

Can get you coverd ...Email me private

Joe

Hello there, did you ever go and dive with Art Boyd in Canaveral? How was it? My wife and I are visiting the Melbourne area this month, April 20th -27th and love to get a day of diving in. your recomondations is Palm Bay area eh?

Dredging up 9 year old Melbourne stuff probably tells you most all you need to know. There is some diving in the area, but south to Jupiter or further south to West Palm or Boynton Beach or Ft Lauderdale, etc is where many folks go from the Melbourne area..............or dive the freshwater springs or dive Disney!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom