Question for Fl divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
Hello to all in the sunshine state. I will be traveling down to Key Largo to dive the SG and hopefully many other great sites and was wondering something. Are there lobsters at any of the sites around Key Largo. Currently I dive in the NE around Boston and my lobstering permit is year round, Is a permit required in Fl? If so is it year round and can anyone get a permit? I cannot wait to get in the water down there. So much to see in so little time. For someone who is still diving wet in Dec up in Ma there couldn't be anything better then getting down to some fantastic Fl diving. Also I will be diving with Ocean Divers for the most part, but I'm up for any recomendations for other charters. Maybe one that does 2 dives on the Spiegal. I have heard that BlueWater divers do back to back Spiegal dives. Are there any others?

Thanks All
Keith

mtsidford:
Hello to all in the sunshine state. I will be traveling down to Key Largo to dive the SG and hopefully many other great sites and was wondering something. Are there lobsters at any of the sites around Key Largo. Currently I dive in the NE around Boston and my lobstering permit is year round, Is a permit required in Fl? If so is it year round and can anyone get a permit? I cannot wait to get in the water down there. So much to see in so little time. For someone who is still diving wet in Dec up in Ma there couldn't be anything better then getting down to some fantastic Fl diving. Also I will be diving with Ocean Divers for the most part, but I'm up for any recomendations for other charters. Maybe one that does 2 dives on the Spiegal. I have heard that BlueWater divers do back to back Spiegal dives. Are there any others?

Thanks All
Keith
Florida Spiney Lobster season is open 8/6-3/31. A Florida saltwater fishing license and lobster permit are required. We have a license/permit that covers our passengers. Some operators require you to acquire your own (Kmart sells them), while others don't allow lobstering from their boats. Be sure to ask what's permitted, and what's provided. Many of the areas we dive are non-consumptive use areas, where no collecting of anything is allowed. Other reefs and wrecks are open to fishing and lobstering. We often make back-to-back dives on the Spiegel Grove. Let me know if we can help.

I read your earlier posts requesting plans for the Spiegel Grove. Did you ever find a source, or did the DIR folks keep hounding you?

I've seen a set of slates that outline the deck plans for the SG, but just now I can't remember where I saw them. Having dived the Grove, I can tell you that there are lots of swim-throughs, several of which have permanent guidelines and wouldn't be considered full penetration dives (just make sure that you and your buddy agree with the plan and that you have no dangling hoses or equipment, but I'm sure that you've probably aready addressed these issues.)

The SG is a fascinating, awe-inspiring dive, because of its immense size, if nothing else. It'll take you two or three dives just to get a feel for the outside of the ship, so a two-tank day should be a great introduction.

Good luck and safe ascents,
Grier

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom