Ten minute meals...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My philosophy in the kitchen is that if it takes much more than ten minutes and uses much more than one pot or pan, it is not worth the bother when cooking for one. so please contribute here if you have any Ten minute specials.

Here is my most recent one

Ten minute Gourmet Tomato soup:

Blend three tomatoes while a pan is heating with a splash of olive oil in it.

fry the tomatoes for three to five minutes until almost a pure stirring well all the time.

return to blender and add:
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp of chicken stock powder
1 tsp of dried bazil
1 tsp of flour
1 pint (600 ml) of water

blend on high return to pot and stir on high for a further five minutes.

salt and pepper to taste

gourmet options:
add some raw oysters prior to serving
tabasco or lime juice

Scubakevdm:
Grab one piece of fresh fruit, let stand 10 minutes. Enjoy!

Yeah, yeah I know: Take five packs of two minute noodles...

I've got a ton of great recipies that take 30 minutes to an hour and a half, but I don't know of any 10 minute meals that are really worth writing down a recipe for. I have some that cook fast, like grilled marlin steak with a tequilla, lime, and cilantro marinade, but it has to be prepared hours in advance.

If I really can't be bothered to cook, my quickie meals usually either go like this:
Make a sandwich, open a can of soup and heat both seperately...

or I'll improvise and saute' some sausage, shrimp, or chicken in whatever oil or fat is convenient with whatever vegetables are handy, maybe throw in some chili or garlic, add half a can of beer or a glass of white wine, reduce it to a sauce and serve over rice. Even that might take 15 minutes.

Oooh. Here's one. It's more than ten minutes though, but its still easy.
Take a tube of sausage, like Jimmy Dean or something and brown it. Drain the grease and toss a block of cream cheese in it and melt it and mix it all up.
Next take two of those cardbord cans of croissant dough, the kind that burst into a spiral of cardbord when you open them. Anyway, open it up and in each little triangle of dough put a spoonfull of the sausage and cream cheese and then wrap it up. Put them all on a cookie sheet and follow the directions for cooking the croissants that you will find on the popped dough can in the garbage. They're awesome. I call them Snausages. It's man food.

Scubakevdm:
I call them Snausages. It's man food.
So do we have to give you the finger.................food to make at the Meet & Greet on saturday? :wink: It the simplicity of life, being a single guy, 10 mins, one pan, limited cooking skills, barely any cleaning up - just enough :wink:

Call the pizza delivery guy, maybe they have ribs too. Beer should be in fridge.

seared tuna, shouldn't need more than a min a side. serve with wasabi, gari, and soy sauce

Kevin, you are heading for a smacked bottom.

Now go to your room without any supper..

now, here is last nights effort.

Ten minute Satay.

One cup water, half a cup of rice, nuke for ten minutes.

cut a chicken breast lengthways into five strips and put on skerwers, bamboo is best.

sprinkle with oil and soy sauce and place in searing hot pan for two minutes each side, they look best if you have the pan with the little lines on.

mix one or two tablespoons of peanut butter with warm water (about half a cup) until sauce consistency

add soy, crushed garlic, chili (tabasco) ground coriander powder, pepper and the lime juice.

quarter a couple of small tomatoes for garnish.

serve chicken ontop of a bed of rice, smother in peanut sauce, and top with chopped coriander leaves.

Gourmet version: Roast half a cup of peanuts in a dry pan and substitute for peanut butter, this will probably requre a mortar and pestle or blender. Substitute chicken with jumbo shrimp.

Artistically arrange tomatoes and laugh at Kevin for slumming it with fruit and Snaussages.

Back
Top Bottom