TDI Cave course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh Levinson

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I always hear about NSS-CDS, NACD, GUE, and once in a while IANTD cave courses, but howcome no one ever mentions the TDI cave courses? Is there anything wrong with them compared to the others? Thanks.

Josh

I would stick with the NSS-CDS, NACD or GUE. These are the people doing the cave dives.
Ken

Originally posted by Waterlover
I would stick with the NSS-CDS, NACD or GUE. These are the people doing the cave dives.
Ken
Your statement implies that TDI instructors aren't included in the "people doing the cave dives." Inasmuch as GUE is even newer than TDI, would you care to unpack that one a little? Got any names or specifics to support your claim?
The only TDI cave instructor I've ever known was also NSS-CDS, NACD and IANTD qualified to teach cave diving. (GUE didn't exist at the time)
If you do know a bad cave instructor I'd like to know who it is so I can steer clear.. I haven't met a bad one yet, regardless of agency. I think your implied slam of TDI is most likely unwarranted.
Rick

NSS-CDS and NACD are organizations I can speak for. IANTD cave is a gimme cert with most other cave certs. I don't know any TDI instructors as TDI instructors(cave), they may certify with NSS or NACD and throw the cert in. I'm not sure, just a guess.

Rick ,
My point IMO being NACD, NSS-CDS are the people who certify cave divers. I consider the IANTD TDI and even GUE "Me Too's", Because you usually have to be NACD, NSS-CDS certified to get their cave instructor ratings. I know of No "ME TOO'S"who are not NACD NSS-CDS before they were IANTD<TDI< GUE Instructors. I don't know all the cave instructors so there may be one but not many...Ken

I'm starting TDI Introductory Cave and my TDI instructor is one of the best cave divers in Europe (please note that caves in Europe aren't like the ones in Florida or Mexico - very cold waters, tiny passages, terrible visibility are just some of the differences). He has done a lot of cave diving exploration in Portugal, Spain and France and participated (still is, every year) in cave explorations in Yucatan.
I'm not saying that TDI is best than the others, but I've always had good references about, and I'm very pleased with all the formation I've received from TDI.
And I must add that my TDI Nitrox instructor in Mexico is now a GUE instructor.

Sue

Originally posted by Divesherpa
NSS-CDS and NACD are organizations I can speak for. IANTD cave is a gimme cert with most other cave certs. I don't know any TDI instructors as TDI instructors(cave), they may certify with NSS or NACD and throw the cert in. I'm not sure, just a guess.

I wouldn't call the IANTD cave course a 'gimme' cert, I know two people that didn't pass intro and had to come back for more classes.

Originally posted by Wendy

I wouldn't call the IANTD cave course a 'gimme' cert, I know two people that didn't pass intro and had to come back for more classes.
What he meant was that the IANTD card was handed out (for another $10 of course) along with the NSS-CDS card, not that the course was a "gimme." You could say it the other way around.
From my perusal of the course requirements it appears at first blush that all the courses (IANTD, NACD, TDI) are the NSS-CDS course with wordsmithing, and no substantial modifications. (Don't know about GUE)
Rick

Thanks Rick, That's exactly what I meant.
If someone fails a cave course, should they be able to take another cave course?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom