Morrison Spring dive report 12/18/04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The air temperature was cool - 50ish at 8:00 am. There were several vehicles in the parking area when I arrived. Many had boat trailers. SuPrBuGmAn was there with a friend. The water level is still halfway up the beach area. The water was cool but not a shock since the air was too. The water was clear but very tannin brown. Below is attached a pic of the viz we had down to below the log. Other pictures can be seen in my gallery. The cavern was clear and a lot warmer than the brown river water above. Catfish and eels greeted us as usual. On the way up a boat passed un-noticed by us until we surfaced. Caution is advised when diving the spring - these guys come in and leave pretty fast. A few more divers were on the way in as we left to get a HOT meal. It was a different but fun dive today. Good to see you again SuPrBuGmAn.

I had a good time as well, like you said, it was different(eary), but fun. Can't wait till the next dive.

As SeaYoda stated, bring a float if you are gonna dive this Spring - traffic is getting bad ontop the water. We floated a flag and it didn't do us any good - still better than no sign of divers at all I suppose...

Water was probably around the low 60ºsF on the surface(tannic) and 68ºF near the cavern opening and inside. My buddy forgot his full wetsuit and still dove it in a 2.5mm shorty :) He was an odd color afterwards.

SuPrBuGmAn:
As SeaYoda stated, bring a float if you are gonna dive this Spring - traffic is getting bad ontop the water. We floated a flag and it didn't do us any good - still better than no sign of divers at all I suppose...

I guess it's time to take a moment with all the boaters you see to re-familizarize them with scuba flags. Not to be pushy or overbearing, but to inform them that there are divers in the area and to be extra cautious when coming coming in and out of the ramps. Can't hurt to give them a reminder in boating laws.

Glad you all had a safe trip. Would have been a memorable experience diving in all that tannis water..

Matt

Corigan:
I guess it's time to take a moment with all the boaters you see to re-familizarize them with scuba flags. Not to be pushy or overbearing, but to inform them that there are divers in the area and to be extra cautious when coming coming in and out of the ramps. Can't hurt to give them a reminder in boating laws.

Glad you all had a safe trip. Would have been a memorable experience diving in all that tannis water..

Matt
Negotiations may be one sided - these guys carry guns not fishing rods :D.

Yowza, thats cold. Ive been trying to figure out what river level means its clear. Since its at 6ft at Caryvill, I guess this means its still too high. Ill have to see how far it drops, maybe head there next weekend. Anyone for diving on friday?

I figured it'd be low enough to be cleared up - oh well. Its still supposed to be dropping, but we have another cold front coming in early-mid week - which could bring rain.

I can't make a friday dive, gotta work. I'm game anywhere from the 26th until Jan 2nd though(Christmas/NewYears Vacation - booyah!).

Corigan:

Matt

I think its something we can address if "The Friends of Morrison" group takes place. We could possibly make signs or maybe get some "No Wake" bouys to put by the basin - at the very least, that would keep them from coming over the spring at a full plane.

Yeah, maybe a "Careful, divers in the water" type sign. Id be more in favor of advising rather than telling them what to do. Perhaps a permanent bouy over the log, though again, Id prefer to keep it pristine as possible. At some point you have to adress safety though I guess. Do you think we should set up a non profit group first, to get started?

Definately

I'm ready to put time in whenever the group starts up.

Keep me posted too.

I stopped by Morrison this morning, looked good for diving. One set of divers getting into the water and one boat coming out.

Anyone interested, I'll dive anytime, anyday. I am about 8 miles from Vortex.

I just dropped three tanks for hydro. I just scraped 18 years of stickers off five others.

temp should be best Wed. Looks like 65 tues, 71 Wed, and dropping into Friday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom