Where to go in the Keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Looking to plan a June dive trip in the Keys. Wondering which Key is the best to stay on for diving and family. Wife and I are both approaching 100 dives, so looking for something good, have been to Bonaire, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel a few times each. Curious to see if stateside diving can match up with the rest. We would like to rent a condo and assuming boat diving is the only way to go. All help would be much appriciated.

FortWorthDiver:
Looking to plan a June dive trip in the Keys. Wondering which Key is the best to stay on for diving and family. Wife and I are both approaching 100 dives, so looking for something good, have been to Bonaire, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel a few times each. Curious to see if stateside diving can match up with the rest. We would like to rent a condo and assuming boat diving is the only way to go. All help would be much appriciated.
I never tire of Key Largo diving. Whether you're interested in reefs, wrecks, or both... Key Largo delivers! Unlike the places you've been however, Key Largo does not have a diveable lee side. When the wind blows, there's no place for divers to "hide". That being said, June is arguably the best month of the year for diving here. Boat diving is the norm, as the reef tract lies 5-6 miles (~30 minutes) offshore. Check out Ocean Pointe Suites for vacation condos, and let me know if I can help.

KeyLargoBrent:
I never tire of Key Largo diving. Whether you're interested in reefs, wrecks, or both... Key Largo delivers! Unlike the places you've been however, Key Largo does not have a diveable lee side. When the wind blows, there's no place for divers to "hide". That being said, June is arguably the best month of the year for diving here. Boat diving is the norm, as the reef tract lies 5-6 miles (~30 minutes) offshore. Check out Ocean Pointe Suites for vacation condos, and let me know if I can help.

How bad was the 04 Hurricane season on the reefs?

FortWorthDiver:
How bad was the 04 Hurricane season on the reefs?
The reefs of the Florida Keys weren't impacted at all by the '04 hurricanes. The local economy bore the brunt of the damage (in the form of lost revenues). We hunkered down a few times; endured two mandatory evacuations; had a little wind and rain, and a whole lot of luck!

If you are taking family and they like to fish take some equipment with you. There are lots of fishing piers along the keys and a great way to get the kids out. When the kids were small we usually went to Marathon. Great access to state parks with short rides. Have fun

FortWorthDiver:
Looks like we may end up staying in Marathon to keep the non-divers in the family happy. How far of a drive to Largo is it from Marathon?
50-60 miles, about an hour-and-a-half, depending on "where" in Marathon you start, and traffic flow. Marathon is situated half way between Key Largo (mile marker 100) and Key West (mile marker 0). Enjoy!

I'm planning a trip for February to the Keys. Please keep the referrals to good shops to dive with going. I haven't been before and your experiences mean a lot to me. Thanks.

I'd suggest closer to Key Largo. Brent has a great boat. Key Largo, Tavernier, Islamorada have tons of topside activities, and the diving can't be beat. From shallow reef to advanced wreck--tons of fish and corals everywhere. We always enjoy the dolphin swims at Theater of the Sea. Seems hokey, but it's really fun. You have to feed the tarpons at Robbies at least once. Let me know if you have any questions. I don't live down there like Brent, but I've been going down there regularly for a lot of years.

Jlayman, where are you staying?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom