Seeking info/advice for honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 Bar

Reaction score
The death of my bachelorhood comes in September 2005. As of now Australia is #1 on the honeymoon destinations. The ball and chain will be certified this May w/ some dives in Cozumel and whatever we do over the summer.

Any suggestions on 1) travel packages to Australis, 2) Dive Operators, 3) weather expectations, 4) diving the GBR, 5) other diving options in the area, 6) any related info.?

I have no more specific info, since NOTHING is decided or planned as of yet. I am just doing a little probe for info at this stage.

Thanks!

2 Bar:
The death of my bachelorhood comes in September 2005. As of now Australia is #1 on the honeymoon destinations. The ball and chain will be certified this May w/ some dives in Cozumel and whatever we do over the summer.

Any suggestions on 1) travel packages to Australis, 2) Dive Operators, 3) weather expectations, 4) diving the GBR, 5) other diving options in the area, 6) any related info.?

I have no more specific info, since NOTHING is decided or planned as of yet. I am just doing a little probe for info at this stage.

Thanks!

Try "Trip-n-tour"

Caymaniac

My condolences to your bachelorhood, may it RIP..........

Australia is HUGE and has incredibly diverse diving, so your first decisions should be along the lines of 1) how long we will stay and 2) which type of diving/location do we want.

September will be the beginning, more or less, of dive season in the more southerly areas so you might want to check that out, too. Basically you'll be able to some great dives in anywhere, so you need to have a think about what you want
-water temps
-marine life
-live aboard
-resort
-night life
-remote
-which State
etc...

ShakaZulu, thanks for the consolation. No offense, but your avatar is much nicer than your picture.

alcina, the trip won't be based on diving, I will dive based on the trip. Live aboard is out. I assume we will travel south east by Sydney and north east by Cairns. Maybe stay at a resort, but definitley near the water. We would be near the GBR at some point. Otherwise, I prefer warmer water.

I need general advice like, "If you go to Cairns dive with..." or "The GBR is only for divers with at least 60 dives." Or "The best diving is here"

This way as we start planning, I will have my notes of interest to look at.

2 Bar:

Thanks!

Try Palm Cove for beach style quiet accomodations. Port Douglas is near to Ribbons, and has the marina that some liveabords use. Check with Pro-Dive for short liveaboard trips. Cairns is nice but a bit south to get to the best diving. If money is no object then go to Lizard Island where you can have the best land based GBR diving with nice beach. Being north from Cairns the weather is usaully great.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

caymaniac:
Try Palm Cove for beach style quiet accomodations. Port Douglas is near to Ribbons, and has the marina that some liveabords use. Check with Pro-Dive for short liveaboard trips. Cairns is nice but a bit south to get to the best diving. If money is no object then go to Lizard Island where you can have the best land based GBR diving with nice beach. Being north from Cairns the weather is usaully great.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Thanks!

You are confronted with a very hard choice as diving ALL AROUND Australia is awesome, not just the Barrier Reef.

Looking forward to see you there !

Tim :10:

I can't give any advice on a honeymoon... never been even close (whew!). I traveled Australia for two weeks four years ago and wish I'd had two months (or more). Of course I was doing it as a backpacker so I won't try to advise you re: lodging, etc.

I dove GBR on an "anchored liveaboard" (stays on the outer reef but does move to different local dive sites in its area). Went with Deep Sea Diver's Den in Cairns and was quite satisfied with the experience. Thought they were a good shop (their head instructor was also the only personal who immediately recognized the validity of my Los Angeles County c-card). Would recommend them (check their web site for shorter-term diving options).

Also found that if I waited til I got there to book, I could get great last minute deals (like $300 US for a week-long liveaboard trip to the Coral Sea).

Didn't dive elsewhere but have heard great things about western Australia (including Ninngaloo and Dangerous Reefs).

Dr. Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. I could use all the info I could get. The better I can make this honeymoon, hopefully the easier it will be to forget I am getting married.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom